how do i get dvds to play on my computer?

my computer is a 2002 or something around there, and it has been refurbished but it doesnt play dvds. it wont even recognize them when i put one in. it doesnt do anything. how do i get them to play? what do i have to buy?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The first requirement is the presense of a DVD drive. Given the age of your computer, you'll need to check that. Just look at the front of the pc where the disk tray ejects and confirm that it has the DVD-ROM logo or some variation of CD/DVD, DVD +/- R/RW on it.

If it only indicates CD, CD-R, or CD-RW, then you'll need a hardware upgrade...a DVD drive which will run you $15-25.

The second component is the DVD playback software. Although there are many options on the market including more recent verions of Windows Media Player, I tend toward either of these two packages when setting up client machines:

WinDVD: http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Produ...

PowerDVD: http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/main_1_ENU...

You can't go wrong with either of these packages...

Michael McLaughlin @ IronOak IT, Calgary, AB

http://www.ironoakit.com

• 4 years ago

Windows XP does not natively allow the viewing of DVDs. You need to have an encoder installed on your machine. If your computer was "restored" using the CD or DVD that it came with, you need to find your application restore (sounds like this disk was separate) and load that application from there. If this was a clean install of Windows XP then you would need to obtain one of these softwares. An example would be Power DVD or WinDVD. Either of which could be purchased and downloaded online. For a cheaper price you can download just the decryption software and use Windows Media Player. That can be purchased through Windows Media Player Plugins.

• 1 decade ago

You need to have a DVD drive. You can get a DVD-RW drive which allows you to burn DVD's for very little money (like $30 - $40 at online stores like TigerDirect.com).

• 1 decade ago

I'm pretty sure that external DVD drives (around 100 bucks) can read the DVDs, but you will have to spend some money.

~WhoCares357

www.poopnsuch.com (Join up!)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

if you have a DVD drive, then put the disc in and a window should pop up asking you what to do. if you put the disc in and nothing happens, go to My Computer and see if it shows a disc in the disc drive.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you have to have a dvd rom or a dvd burner and a media player its simple im an eleven year old kid and i know

Source(s): me
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it depends... if your pc doesn't have a dvd drive... then it can't read any dvd

you can get one from your local computer store,(they are not that expensive)

• 1 decade ago

see if you have a dvd-rom or dvd logo on the front....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.