Chances for MBA?

What are my chances for getting into an MBA program? Am I relegated to just getting something from one of these 'diploma mills' or can I get into a real school. My undergrad gpa is under 2.5. I haven't taken the GMAT yet. I have 8 years professional experience and have acquired some industry related professional designations. I'm looking more for some type of online or distance learning type of MBA program. Can I qualify for a better program like Syracuse or Penn State or do I have to just settle for one of these lower echelon 'diploma mill' type programs. I'd rather have something that's a little more recongnizable and respected. Should I just forget about any school that automatically lists GPA requirements? Or should I apply anyway?

Favorite Answer

There are three considerations when admissions counselors review an applicant to an MBA program: the undergrad GPA, your GMAT, and your professional experience. The credentials are nice to have and support the assertion that you posess a depth of experience in your career, but you should also think about breadth of your profile. Consider that schools figure the GPA into their graduating profile, the question you should ask yourself is " What will be the impact of my GPA on the graduating class?"

Nevertheless, don't think that just because you don't have a 4.0+ GPA that you won't have a chance. Do a quick SWOT analysis (Strength, Weakness, Opportunity, and Threat) on your academics. How did you do in the quantitative classes?How did you do in verbal subjects? What can you do to compensate for those areas that show you will be able to master the MBA workload?

The MBA curriculum has a very heavy quantitative load. You will be expected to calculate queuing, safety stock, and efficient frontiers. There is also considerable reading of very technical and qualitative subject matters and your success will depend upon your ability to master these skillsets. Thus, your GMAT is yet another way to prove to the admissions staff of your ability to read, master, and synthesize complex notions quickly and respond with thorough analysis.

Lastly, your work history rounds you out as a candidate. Eight years of expereince is considerable. If your experience shows some upward momentum, I would emphasize that on your application. I suggest that you consider the following question when putting the story of your professional career together for admissions: What do you bring to the MBA program, and what will you get out of the program. Another way to put this is: how you will use your MBA to increase your value and make the program look good five years down the line.

You will be up against a lot of very well qualified people so be aware of your position. Try to think of what skills you have that will make you a success in an MBA program and pitch it in your application.

Good Luck!

You can get into lots of MBA programs -- but the good ones will be hard for you to get into. Ranked programs want you to have three to five years of work experience. Even with that experience, it will be hard for you to get in unless you do raise your GPA and get a great GMAT score. In my opinion, an MBA from an unranked school won'tbe worth the cost of tuition.

The GPA is kind of low....but you have alot of professional experience which is what alot of MBA programs are looking for. I don't know! You can always apply and see or call and ask to speak to an admissions counselor.

Let me put it this way....Wharton won't be calling you and offering you a scholarship. But you knew that anyways. You can still get a quality MBA from any state-funded university. It isn't as high caliber as Syracuse or Penn State, but it will certainly improve your resume compared to only having a bachelor's degree.

Source(s): If a Master's of Business Administration doesn't suit your needs, you can always get a Masters degree in Religion... http://www.ulc.net/index.php?page=shop