Storing partially used onion?

Good morning, All:

Say I use only half of an onion. I know at the start I'm only going to use half an onion... what is the best way to store the rest for later use and how long will it keep for? Should I chop the entire thing and store the extra of cut the onion in half and store it that way? Thanks in advance for your answers.

• Clare
    Favorite Answer

I usually don't chop the part of the onion I don't use because I might decide to use it sliced instead of chopped. I stick it in a zipper plastic bag and put it in the fridge. It will last a few days that way. If it's going to be longer before I use it, I do chop it and put it in a zip bag and put it in the freezer.

• Lenio

There are two things you can do.

If you know you are only going to use half an onion then cut the onion in half before you peel it. Peel and chop only the half you need. Store the other unpeeled half in an airtight plastic bag/container in the fridge and use next time you need onion.

Or secondly if you have already peeled the onion, and then only use half - wrap the unused half in cling film and store in an airtight container in the fridge.

That is what I do.

I often prepeel garlic and store it in the fridge door in a clean glass jam jar.

If at the onset you know that you will only use 1/2 an onion, it will be best to store the unused half with the outer skin on. They last est that way.

Keep it refrigirated in an air tight plastic jar or a zip lock bag...

I store mine in the freezer in a zip lock bag after I dice it.

It stays good for a while but I use onions every day so they never go bad.

Sometimes I chop bell peppers and onions and celery and garlic and freeze it for the next day...it saves time

I agree with Clare. You can actually buy frozen diced onions at the grocery store so why not freeze your left over onions by chopping them up and putting them in a freezer bag. These can be used in cooking soups, stews, etc.

I dice my leftover onions and freeze them on a plate so they don't freeze together once they are frozen I store them in a Ziploc bag. I just pull out my bag when I need more onions.

• Indy

here's what I have done:

put the un used piece in an airtight container, and it stays good about 2 weeks....when I use it again, I trim all the exposed flesh, because it has a tendency to dry out.

I have also chopped onion, and frozen it for soups, stews, casseroles, etc...does quite nicely.

If you want to store it for days at a time, do not chop it up. Store it in a zipper baggie.

If you want to store it for a day or two, then you can chop it up. But it is always best to store without chopping first.

I always just dice them and put them in an airtight container, that way you always have some on hand to sprinkle on toast, with cheese, to melt under the grill or to add to scrambled eggs or an omelette

I would leave the unused half in the skin. If you chop it, it would go brown. Put the half in a plastic bag or clingfilm in the fridge and use it the next day. I wouldn't store it for longer than 2 days.