Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

In the UK should a life sentence mean that the prisoner is never released?

We hear of judges telling people they have sentenced that they must serve at least 8 years. To me that seems too short a sentence for murder.

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Life should be about 25 years. The main reason you need to have some time limit on a sentance, is that the prisoner needs some hope that they'll be released to make them behave. If you know that you will be in prison for the rest of your life, with no chance of the death sentance, there would be nothing to stop you behaving like an animal in prison, and attacking / killing anyone you like. This would lead to prisoner officers being put in danger, along with other prisoners. You need some sort of reward system for good behaviour to make these people behave otherwise you'd have chaos inside the prisons.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Huh?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It can mean just that.

When a life sentence is passed, the minimum sentence the judge gives (for example, 10 years) is how long the person must serve before they can be considered for release on license. To even be considered for this release they have to be making a real effort to engage with the programmes prison offers for things like cognitive behavioural therapy, anger management, etc, designed to make them understand why they killed, why it's a bad thing and how to control their violent impulses. They also have to show genuine remorse for their actions.

Some especially heinous criminals are given a whole life tariff; this means they will never even be considered for release under license.

Even if they are eventually released on license, they are still monitored by the probation service and can be recalled to prison if they behave in such a way that they are thought to be at risk of committing another offence of any kind. This oversight can last for many years.

If they don't engage with these programmes, or they don't do any good, they will not be released. A well known prisoner who has fallen foul of this condition is Harry Roberts, who shot and killed two policemen during a robbery in 1966. He's still in prison.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

8 years does seem too little. Sometimes there are circumstances which justify a shorter sentence than "whole life"

What about if someone is provoked by an abusive husband over a period of years, then one day she lashes out?

What about if someone punches someone in a brawl, the other hits back and accidently kills him?

I think there can be redemption and forgiveness depending on the circumstances.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If British society is to stay together then the laws must make the punishment fit the crime,

1st degree murder must carry either the death penalty or hard-labour for life, no parole,

2nd degree murder 25yrs to life hard labour,

manslaughter 10yrs to life hard labour,

make all criminals work for there keep no work no communal TV

no individual TVs PlayStation's there not on holiday,

stop being lenient be tough but fair.

now look at the bunch of fairy's we have running this country and try to imagine them implementing any of my suggestions.

Not a snowball in hells chance, so the victims suffer while the criminals play games on their PlayStation's.

funny old world ain't it ?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, life means life. It's BS how in the UK people are let out after serving so little time. If I were a victim or a victim's family member I'd be pissed off with the UK system.

But the same goes here in Italy. It's ridiculous.

• 1 decade ago

I know of someone that killed a person drunk driving, they got sentenced to 3 years and were released after 18 months. I personally think you take a life you give YOUR life, be it life sentence or death by what ever means, this justice system is crap !

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's a ridiculous system when a life sentence doesn't mean life.

Anyway, with the advent of D.N.A. and after years of disagreeing with capital punishment, I have now come to the conclusion that it should be re-introduced; although I know that there is not a hope in hell that it will ever happen.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

they have been served life, thats what they should get. it doesn't matter how they change or whatever, they commited the crime so they should pay the penalty. 8 years is no where near enough for taking a persons life!! the system is getting soft on people ;/ all sorts of arguments to sway this either way but everyone is unresolved in themselves so i wont bother with them..

x

• 1 decade ago

Life sentence should be just that, use them for medical testing & trash sorting. Make them earn everything, food, lights, clothing, all of it. It's ridiculous that we treat criminals better than their victims, when a court decides to keep murderers & rapists alive it bears all responsibility for any future crime the person committs.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I agree that 'Life' should mean life.

To those who suggested that having no hope of release would make the criminals misbehave in prison, I would say 'tough'! Lock them up in solitary, they have destroyed one or more lives (frequently lives of innocent people, fathers, mothers etc), so let the criminals lives be destroyed as well.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.