Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Hawaiian Songs on the Ukulele?

I'm doing a school assignment on Hawaiian music and i'm planning to play a piece on the ukulele. Any suggestions?

Oh, and any information on Hawaiian music would be greatly appreciated too. e.g.

- Well know musicians from Hawaii

- What role does music play in Hawaiian culture

Anything about Hawaiian music

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Israel Kamakawiwo Ole'

Hawaii '78

Somewhere Over The Rainbow Lyrics

Take Me Home Country Road

White Sandy Beach of Hawai'i

Keola Beamer

Honolulu City Lights

This is all more resent music Considering IZ died in 1997.

Music has been a part of Hawaiian culture for for years all though it was only first Documented in 1778 when us white people showed up " haoles ". The last Queen Lili'uokalani was musician and composer, best known as the composer of "Aloha 'Oe".

Here is a link to some Uku info!! If you get some time do a youtube on IZ and just sit back and listen. Hawaii '78 breaks my heart every time I hear it. I hope you get an A.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukulele

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

"Somewhere over the rainbow" was not originally a Hawaiian song, but it was covered by a very famous Hawaiian singer (I forget his name...Israel something or other). It's pretty easy to play on the ukulele. I'm sure youtube has an instructional video. The song is featured in 50 first dates. It's a really good cover and exemplifies the Hawaiian style of music on the ukulele.

• 1 decade ago

Justin Kawika Young - One Foot on Sand not the ukulele version

other one is waaay better trust me, intro is guitar, the beat is uke

F, Aminor Dminor then Aminor Chorus Bflat, Fmajor, High C

Ekolu - Stuck On You dis my favorite

Three Plus - Honey Baby

Three Plus - Is this love

da best for last Israel Kamkawiwo'ole - Somewhere over the Rainbow ho ho ho brah!!

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

"Over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole "SpongeBob Ending Credits song"

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Well, I'm not gonna do your home work for you, but I'll give you some pointers for musicians: Herb Ohta, Israel Kamakawiwoole, & Jake Shimabukuru.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.