Jobs for a psych/sociology major?

I've always heard that you can't get a good job if you major in psychology or sociology, but that's what I'm interested in. Are there any jobs you know of that I could end up doing after college with one of these majors? Being a psychologist is probably not an option because of graduate school, though.

• xo379
    Favorite Answer

Whoever said that has NO idea what they're talking about.

You can...

--Go into business and work in: public relations, marketing, organizational research, resources management, industrial relations...

--Social worker, probation/parole officer, substance abuse counselor, mental health worker, child welfare worker, hospital administrator, nursing home administrator

--Go into politics: Lobbying specialist, campaign worker/organizer

--Work for the government: Like I said before, probation officer; also the U.S. Census Bureau, the U.S. Bureau of Prisons, the State Department of Correction, an FBI agent...

--Work for a news media corporation (research)

That was all for Sociology (though there are more.)

A lot of those overlap with Psychology...but some I found on Psychology websites:

--Advertising assistant

--Hotel event management

--Employment agency counselor

--Junior market analyst

--Public opinion surveyor

--Crisis intervention counselor

...and that's all only with an undergraduate degree.

• Shae S

Getting far in the fields of psychology or sociology is tough, if not impossible without graduate school. You could find a job, but it will most likely not be related to what you studied.