Why do people confuse Pope Constantine I (died 715 AD) with Emperor Constantine I (died 337 AD)?

(I'd really like to know the original source of this myth/confusion...)

Update:

I've heard (several) people in this forum refer to Emperor Constantine I as "Pope Constantine" and I'd like to know why...

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

Honey, I have seen more than one person on here and in my real life confuse Martin Luther with Martin Luther King Jr.

I chalk it up to ignorance and a poor educational system.

• Tai
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Well, they were both named Constantine the first for one, and they both are strongly tied with the Catholic church; Emperor Constantine for declaring the Roman Empire Catholic in order to unify it, and Pope Constantine (obviously) because he was the head honcho of Catholicism in his time. There's no great conspiracy behind it, just common confusion. Hope this helped!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Constantine of 337 AD was the first Pope.The other one was also a Pope.We have had 3 George's as President.

http://www.whateverycatholicshouldknow.com

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Probably the fact they have the same name.

If there was a Pope Peter and an Emperor Peter, that were both historically famous, Id probably confuse them too if I didnt spend enough time doing my history homework.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • E
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I have no clue how people can confuse two important men from a long time ago who share the name Constantine I.

• Because people (falsely) think Constantine the great was the first pope or something.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

LOL

Yeah, I have to agree with Panglosswasright. I actually had an argument with someone who refused to believe that Martin Luther was not named AFTER Martin Luther King Jr. She actually thought that the Protestant movement was something to do with Afro-Americans!

• 1 decade ago

1. People are stupid

2. They have the same name

• 1 decade ago

they must have knowledge from their religous teaching and training manuals this is a first for me never had reason to compare the two

• 1 decade ago

The same name maybe?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.