Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBasketball Β· 1 decade ago

Boys! Explain basketball to me?

I need to know the basics. My friends all support the Knicks, so info on them would be great too.

Update:

I know there is a ball. I know there is a basket. I need to know the basic rules, the best teams, the point systems, the best players, etc. Don't be smart@sses guys! This is a genuine question.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Umm..Sorry to say this but they're not that good.

They're only 17-38.(wins-losses)

So you can see by their stats that they're not doing good.If I were you I would pick a favorite from the West Conferance.The best teams this year are the Suns(my favorite), the Celtics, Cavaliers, and the Lakers.As for the best players currently, they are: Steve Nash(Suns), Kobe Bryant(Lakers), Pau Gasol(Lakers), Dwayne Wade(Heat), LeBron James(Cavaliers), Dirk Nowitzki(Mavericks), Amare Stoudemare(Suns). Well thats some of the best players you could look it up to find out more of the best teams and players.

Now for the basics: There are 5 players on each team. Postions are: Pg, Sf, Pf, C, and Sg. You dribble the ball up and down the court and you try to shoot the ball into the goal. Dribble the ball at all times.Whichever team with the most points wins. If the shot is inside the big arc then it's two points and if it's outside it, it's three points. There's some contact but not alot. If you get hit or something then you get two foul shots(also known as free throws). They are one point each. Simple.There are other things like violations and stuff but these are the basics.

You'll learn the rest by watching a few games and stuff like that.So, hope you have fun watching basketball.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I am not a boy but here:

On basketball you have to shoot a ball in your net but you can not traavel and traveling is when you stop dribbling the ball and you dont pass it. You also have timeouts and if you then you get a time out so you stop the game and talk to your coach. After the 2 quarter it is halftime and you take a break for about 30 minutes or so. And after that you play until the fourth quarter but if it is tied you go to overtime snd whoever wins that wins the game.here are some rules that might be used in a basketball game. http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_index.html

Source(s): Lakers are the best
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Basketball is a non contact sport were you dribble a basket ball down a court and shoot at the net. Ex1) use an arch shape in your one arm to shot and use your other hand to make it stable)

every basket is 2 points if it is a shot from way out it is worth 3 points. if any one hits you it is a fowl and you get 2 shots both shots are only worth 1 point. at the beginning of the game you line up and the ref will blow the whistle throw the ball in the air, you jump and try to get the ball to your team mate's, and thats the game of basket ball. hope you enjoy the sport! ^.^

• 1 decade ago

whoever scores the most points by getting the ball in the basket, wins. Although knicks may be one of the worst teams in the NBA, their games are exciting to watch

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

you'll get to learn the game by simply watching it. the rules/system might be hard to understand if you don't get a visual. the best team can be very subjective but record-wise, it would be the celtics at the moment. best player is also subjective, but with that question, i'd go for kobe amongst current players. as with your question about the knicks, it's a question i'd rather not answer. ^^

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the team that gets the most points by getting the ball in the basket and if it is behind the big curvish line it is three points and anywhere inside of it is two

Go Houston Rockets Especially Tracy McGrady

• 1 decade ago

the knicks are terrible and they need to fire Isiah. David Lee is the best player on the team and Eddie curry should get more minutes

• 3RD
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Just say that the Lakers are the best team there is with Kobe ,Pau , Lamar , Bynum (injured) , Derek , and there great bench...even there coach Phil

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you shoot the ball in the basket, as many times as you can, and whoever has the most points wins

the cavaliers are the best

• 1 decade ago

Read a book or search the web.. Basketball cannot be expounded on a single answer here..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.