How to change limited account to administrator?

Update:

I have vista

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

***EDIT***

Since you've mentioned you have Vista, you'll be able to use the method I mention below if it's Vista Ultimate or Business, but Home doesn't ship with the MMC snap-in needed.

If it's Home, and you're just wanting to have access to the Administrator account, you can open a command-prompt as Administrator:

1. click start

2. type "cmd" into the start search

3. right-click on cmd.exe when it appears in the start search results list

4. choose Run as Administrator

5. type "net user administrator /active"

This will enable the Administrator account- but as with anything in Windows, you'll have to have permissions to access the net command at that level.

If your frustration is with User Account Control, there are a couple of ways to disable UAC. Here's the easy one: http://www.vista4beginners.com/How-to-disable-UAC

You'll have to be logged in as an Administrator in order to change group memberships. If you're running Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro, or Vista and you're logged in as an Administrator, you can right-click on My Computer, and choose Manage.

You can expand Local Users and Groups, find your user, right click and choose properties, then click on the Member Of tab. You can then click Add... and add your user to the Administrators group. To make sure you don't run into any permissions problems from being a member of the User's group, you'll want to click on Users and choose Remove.

If you're using Windows XP Home, you can accomplish pretty much the same thing through the Users control panel, but I don't have access to XP Home right now to give you a step-by-step.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Claire
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awJdW

First, I don't get why u wanna go from Administrator to limited account, administrator has all power of system, changing passwords,controlling file types, protecting system and all that stuff. But if u still wanna do that, its okay. First, let me make clear that cannot have just one account with limited control, cause if there is just one account it will be of Administrator as system requires someone to control it, and an Admin. can not change his own account to limited type, the system won't allow that (why? that's a long case, & I won't answer it here) as u urself said that "whein i open the user accounts from the control panal the option of change the account type is not active it is only admin" So u must understand that there's gotta be atleast one admin. So the simple and only way (I think so, that its the only, but doesn't matter if there r others) is First open ur system in admin. mode, then as u said "tried to creat an user account in my computer, i did one" so that account must be still there, if not then create a new one (not the guest one) and give it the admin power (create the account as admin type), if yes, see if it is admin type or limited, if it is not admin type change it to admin. Next reboot ur pc and this time login to the other account u just created. Now open Control panel, user account, select the other account (the original one) change it to limited type ( and this time this option will be available ! ). That's done. Next time u logon to that account u won't see admin tools. ..........HOPE THIS HELPS.........

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How to change limited account to administrator?

Source(s): change limited account administrator: https://tr.im/Tafc1
  • 1 decade ago

You Have To Login As Administrator Then Go To Start And Control Panl And User Account And Change It

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Go to Control Panel>User Accounts and choose the account to choose on the Home screen. Then go to change account type, and change it to Computer Administrator. You can only do this if you are an Administrator (so you can't change your own account)

• 3 years ago

Change Your Account Type

• 1 decade ago

Depending on the O/S, you should be able to change the account type in the User Accounts section of the Control Panel, assuming this is a home workstation.

If this is a server or domain question, than only the administrators of the domain/server can make that kind of adjustment. Domain would probably be policy based, and the server is probably going to be group based.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There are 3 simple ways

1.to become an administrator account you need to log in by a administrator ID first then go to Control Panel->User Account->choose the account you want and change it.

2.When you log in press Ctrl+Alt+Delete+Delete then type in the user name "Administrator" and enter. That you're logging in as the Boss then you can change,delete account type, even the password do the same step as way 1.

3..... It's very sneaky that you remove the password of someone else(Who is Administrator account) and get through that to change your account type but i'll show you

First log in as your account and right click to My computer and choose Manage.Follow these steps:Local users and groups->Users-> right click to an administrator ID(whatever) and click set password then you can log in to the ID you have chosen with your new password and chage your account type by the same way of way 1. (Caution: It can break your realationship of someone so be careful).If you forget your password you can try this way ,too

Good luck

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Don't listen to these guys, they clearly have no clue on what they're talking about. I am a developer at Microsoft so I know a thing or two about computers. The only way to reset your windows password 100% safe is to use a software called Reset Password Pro.

The software allows you to create a boot-disk, that can be made on a CD/DVD or USB stick. The boot-disk can then be inserted into any locked machine, and it's a simple case of pressing reset. Here is their official site: http://www.resetwindowspass.com

• Stacey
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

1. Start=>Control Panel=>User Accounts=>Click on your account(Important) 2. From here Click on "Change my Account Type" 3. Click on Limited in the next screen 4. Click on OK

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.