Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 1 decade ago

Does Michael Moore owns Halliburton stocks?

"I don't own a single share of stock!" filmmaker Michael Moore proudly proclaimed.

He's right. He doesn't own a single share. He owns tens of thousands of shares ? including nearly 2,000 shares of Boeing, nearly 1,000 of Sonoco, more than 4,000 of Best Foods, more than 3,000 of Eli Lilly, more than 8,000 of Bank One and more than 2,000 of Halliburton, the company most vilified by Moore in "Fahrenheit 9/11."

If you want to see Moore's own signed Schedule D declaring his capital gains and losses where his stock ownership is listed, it's emblazoned on the cover of Peter Schweizer's new book, "Do As I Say (Not As I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy."

Favorite Answer

A shedule D does not show the share you own, only the shares you did own. And tax returns are normally confidential. How do you know this is not a fake? But I would have to say this. He did pick good companies to own stock in if in fact he did own them. I wonder why he sold them? If you are going to own stock, you might as well own stock in a company that Bush is stuffing money into.

He probably owns them in a mutual fund, that is managed by some brokerage firm. He, like most people don't really check to see what companies are in them, but rather just want to know if they are getting good returns.

I bought Haliburton once, sold it, made some money and moved on. And guess what? While I owned it, no one from Haliburton ever asked me how they should run their company. To have any voice in a company you would have to own, not thousands of shares, but more like at least 100,000 shares to ever get close to having any say in company policy.

So, you might think it's hypocritical of him, and in a way, it is, but not much more than many of the everyday things all Americans do in their everyday lives. If you wear anything made of leather, then find out how the leather was obtained, who made it, where and how. If you buy and clothes or decorations for you home made in China, find out who made it, how it was made, etc.... If you use oil in your heating or gas in your car, find out about the conditions of people who work the oilfields. If you use electricity, check out the working conditions of coal miners in WVA. If you eat meat, just watch one of those PETA films. If you use paper or buy furniture made of hardwood, find out where it came from, and see what effects that use has on the environment. If you wear gold, silver, or diamond jewelry, find out how it was obtained and who mined it and how, and how much they are paid, what their working conditions are, what land was destroyed to get to the metals or diamonds.

So, don't be going around slamming Moore for his hypocrisy, until you've cleaned your own house. At least he's using his money to uncover some of these atrocities.

He might own stock but who really cares.