Where were you on Sept. 11, 2001 when you first heard of the tragic news??

Favorite Answer

In the dayroom of my unit A 3/505th PIR, 82nd ABN watching it on Fox News. We knew it was on after that. We spent the next three days patrolling post with live ammo making sure there were no more terrorists attacks, then we got ready to go to war ourselves once they told us the attackers came from the Al-Qadea by way of the Tailiban in Afghanistan. We were on 18 hour deployment wheels up so we were ready to go anytime that week of 911. We figured we would be jumping in by October but the Rangers got the mission. My unit showed up in May 2002. Man were we pissed the whole time from 911 on till now....I visited ground zone in April 2002. Confirmed my commitment to kicking their azz there and Iraq or wherever they show up.

Source(s): US Army airborne combat vet of Bosnia, Afghanistan and Iraq

My wife and I were applying for jobs quite near D/FW airport. People kept running in and out of the break area (behind a secure door). When we went out side and got into the car, all we heard was silence. There were 30 or more aircraft jockeying for landing or ascending during normal times. My wife turned on the radio and we heard at that point. We got into the house and had flipped on the TV just before the 2nd tower came down.

I lost a school mate: Steven J Weeks from NYMA '79. He could have left but stayed to help people out. Left behind a wife and 2 daughters.

FYI: Argenbright (Boston Logan) and other security companies at the airports got HOSED. By law, it was NEVER illegal UNTIL after 9/11 to get on a commercial airliner (thus going through security) with a Box cutter. I worked for Argenbright (Dallas), after 9/11, that company will never recover from the 'blame game' of 9/11.

At home in bed when one of our daughters called from Ohio to tell us to turn on the TV. Throughout the morning I sat riveted in front of the TV. When the attack on the Pentagon was announced and the aircraft which hit the building was identified I prayed that two people I knew who were supposed to be on that aircraft had missed the flight and were O.K. I was wrong. I went to their funeral about a week later.

Even today I get angry with the "9-11 Truth" bunch who were not personally affected in their lives by the events of that day, yet try to tell me how wrong I am to believe it was a plane which hit the Pentagon. Those two people were not returning to California on the top of a cruise missile!

• CK

Middle school. I was getting released from gym class when they passed out a piece of paper explaining it. They said there was a plane the hit a building in New York or something. They canceled all after school programs. We thought it was some accident so we didn't know what the big deal was. Then we came home turned on the tv, and found out it was a terrorist attack. I didn't even know what a terrorist meant.

On the Corner of Liberty & West Streets across from the WTC watching people jump from the burning towers and hitting the ground like exploding bags of Concrete. After that Worked Rescue & Recovery for several weeks.

I was at school. All the teachers were going mad, and were ringing people up, probably friends in America.

We didn't know what had happened, and how big and tragic the event was, until we got home.

It's a shame that we STILL don't know the full truth.

I was driving on my way to work in the morning when I heard about it on the radio. I didn't actually believe it until I saw the news on TV when I got to work...

My husband (whom I hadn't even met at the time) was on leave from boot camp. He remembers sitting in the living room watching all the news on the television and trying to contact his recruiter to figure out what, if anything, he needed to do. Fresh out of boot, he was eager to defend our country. He has since served two tours in Iraq, served 3 years on recruiting duty, and is now going back to the fleet to serve more tours in Iraq...

I was advanced party returning from my 2nd float with 2nd Bn/1st Marines. Sitting in the chow hall waiting for my Marines to show up in 3 days. Someone yelled to turn on the news , and as were watching everybody had their ideas as to what happened. Next thing you know the second plane hit. About 5 minutes later they came on and told everyone to return to their units. As were kind of running out we see camp guard setting up machine gun post , concertina wire, and the all of Camp Pendelton was going into lock down. I just waited for word as to what I was going to do , because It was only myself and 4 or 5 other Marines from my Company back at Horno.

The rest of the Marines started doing qrid squares between Hawaii and Cali and were just waiting for the word to go kill . Never got and they ended up coming home.

I was in middle school and playing dodgeball in my suburban gym class. I remember the class ended early and one of my friends told me that there was a plane crash. After leaving the locker room we went to our next class. As I walked in to English my teacher was on the phone and was cussing out of anger. I did not know the extent until I got home.

I was life guarding for a buncha 1st graders taking swim lessons. - The instructors and I turned the radios on and talked in between classes about what could possibly going on.