How do I know if something that's on my big toe is a corn?

I HATE going to see doctors, but there's something on the bottom of my big toe that hurts like crazy sometimes (especially when I've had shoes on for a while - I'm guessing because of the moisture that builds up?) and other times doesn't bother me at all. I've Googled images of corns and bunions... show more I HATE going to see doctors, but there's something on the bottom of my big toe that hurts like crazy sometimes (especially when I've had shoes on for a while - I'm guessing because of the moisture that builds up?) and other times doesn't bother me at all. I've Googled images of corns and bunions (I don't know what either one of these things actually is), and I know it's not a bunion (by the pics) but am not sure about whether it could be a corn. It's not red or growing or getting worse, so I seriously doubt I managed to get a splinter in it. Anyhow, is there a way I can know without having to go see my doctor? And do over-the-counter treatments work? Also, what causes corns?

Thanks so much, in advance, for any and all answers :)
Update: Yes, I've seen Plantar's warts when my cousin had them, amnesty. It's not those, either. Thank you :)