Potty training question!?

I have 2.5 year old son that has been training and doing well for about 2 months. Most of the time, he likes to poop in the toilet, but every once in a while (just now, which prompted me to ask this question!), he'll tell me he has to poop, and ask me to put a diaper on him so he can do it in there. Is that normal? I grant his request, but my husband thinks I shouldn't. Has this happened to anyone else? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

That is great he is doing so well. Wanting to poop in the diaper is very normal and has to do with comfort. He probably is not able to relax on the toilet. I researched and found a stool with sides that allows my son to sit securely and to stand to pee. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

Another thing that helps is putting toilet paper over the water to stop splashing. This stool made the difference for my son and even now that he has been potty trained awhile he still asks for his stool if it is not there. For my family, this stool has been well worth it.

Hope this helps.

It is normal but i would recommend making him sit on the potty instead of giving him the diaper to poop in. Pooping in the potty is something most kids don't like to do and if they are given a choice they will almost always choose diaper. If he is telling you he has to poop then take him to the potty. He shouldn't wear a diaper at all if he is pottytraining, that just encourages him to use the diaper instead. With my son the times he is scared to poop in the potty is when he is really constipated for a day or two and he knows the poop will be big and hurt, it is more difficult on the potty so he poops his pants.

You should buy a potty seat he can use at the grownup potty, or you'll make him use the child. Either approach you can most of the time have got to keep in the toilet with him till he is going for the primary few months of potty coaching. Don't count on him to be in a position to move in there and maintain it himself. Grab a e-book and plant your self till he is going. Don't make it worrying. You can present a gift of a few form if he makes use of both potty (like 2 m&m's). Be sufferer although he isn't and do not fear. Training takes time.

It can be normal for kids to do that. If he uses the big potty when he normally goes...some kids can't stand watching the poop go away because they feel like they are flushing away part of themselves.

Also it takes longer to poop so make sure he feels secure at the potty. To be comfortable to poop the toddler needs to be able to put their feet on a surface (like a step) and the insert seat with handles they can hold onto also brings more security.

My grandson did this as well. My daughter gave in at first, then stopped when that pack of diapers was gone. She just didn't buy anymore. He was upset to say the least for the first month or so. He started going in his underwear, which of course my daughter had to change him. So, since it was summer and she was at home with him all the time right then, she made him run around the house and fenced in back yard in just a shirt. He started to cry for his underwear. She did not give in this time and he decided he had to go on the potty. Good luck and be patient but firm, Rail

My daughter will cry for a diaper when she has to poo too. She used to hold it in and make herself severely constipated so I would give in but now she's too old and I tell her that she doesn't get a diaper and she eventually goes in the potty. Good luck!

you shouldn't let him....he's a boy maybe he likes to do it in his diper but if he is capable of going on toilet he needs to go there try your best to explain that he no longer needs to use his diaper and if you need to use the big boy talk use it

i would not put a nappy back on him try sites below for usefull tips