Spiritual Israel is shown in scripture as being in God's favor?

Who do you think is this Israel?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Daniel
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In scripture the church is spiritual Israel. In many passages a parallel is drawn between Israel and Jesus and his chruch. This is distinguished from physical Israel. Spiritual Israel involves a right relationship.

"And so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: Out of Egypt I called my son." (Matthew 2:15). But the prophecy in Hosea 11:1 is not an individual son but the entire people of Israel." So, Jesus is equated with Israel.

The Church is the body of Christ; so, for this reason the Church is spiritual Israel.

In Psalm 80:8, God calls Israel a "vine" that He brought

"out of Egypt." Jesus later declares, "I am the true

vine" (John 15:1).

The apostle Paul also follows the principle in his letters of applying

statements originally made about the nation of Israel to Jesus Christ.

God called Israel "my firstborn" in Exodus 4:22. Yet Paul said

it was Jesus Christ who is "the firstborn of every creature"

(Colossians 1:15).

The clearest example is when God calls Israel "the seed of

Abraham" (Isaiah 41:8). However, Paul later writes that

Abraham's seed does not refer to "many," but to "one,

... which is Christ" (Galatians 3:16). Thus we discover that

repeatedly in the New Testament, statements that once applied to the

nation of Israel are now applied to Jesus Christ. The Messiah is now

"the seed." Therefore, Jesus is the very essence of Israel!

There is more. Remember that the name "Israel" not only

referred to Jacob, but also to his descendants—who became Israel.

The same principle is seen in the New Testament.

For example, the Lord told the ancient Israelites, "And ye shall be

unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation" (Exodus 19:6). In

the New Testament, Peter applies these exact words to the church:

"But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation,

a peculiar people" (1 Peter 2:9).

Likewise, immediately after Paul's statement in Galatians 3 about

Jesus being "the seed," he then tells his Gentile (a non-Jew)

converts, "And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's

seed, and heirs according to the promise" (Galatians 3:29). Thus in

the New Testament, the name Israel not only applies to Jesus Christ, but

also to those who are born in Christ—His Church! In other words, all true Christians are now God's spiritual Israel.

The church is called the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:27), which is

one reason why James, when writing to the church, addresses it as the 12

tribes that are scattered abroad (James 1:1). From the very beginning,

the church has understood Israel to mean a spiritual body of Christ.

So, it's a reoccurring theme in the NT of Jesus and his body (the Church) being Israel in a spiritual sense.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Spiritual Israel is no longer made up of strictly natural Jews, because that nation as whole rejected Jesus, and thus God rejected them. It is made up of those chosen from the earth, who will rule with Jesus in his heavenly kingdom,over the rest of mankind to restore mankind to his original sinless state and the relationship with God that we were intended to have all along.

So the term Spiritual Israel replaces the physical as those who replaced the Jews who were originally supposed make up that heavenly class, but upon rejecting Jesus the Jews were replaced for the most part by those among all nations to make up the rest of that number. Those who accepted Jesus as the rightful King of God's government.

Source(s): The Bible and the Theocratic Ministry School of Jehovah's Witnesses
  • 1 decade ago

The Hebrew word, Israel, has two meanings.

1. Israel, the land

2. Israel, the people

Hasse_John is right. Israel translates as "wrestles with God." It comes from Jacob's night of wrestling. God changed Jacob's name to Israel. Israel continues to wrestle with God to this day.

• 1 decade ago

THERE IS NO SPIRITUAL ISRAEL IN BIBLE OR SCRIPTURES.. THERE IS THE CITY OF JERUSALEM IN BIBLE ..I CERTAINLY COULD NOT FIND SPIRITUAL ISRAEL SHOWN IN GOD'S FAVOR IN THE STARDARD HOLY BIBLE

NO SPIRITUAL ISRAEL.. Some CHIRSITIANS refer to Spiritual Israel as the HOLY CHURCH OF GOD

HERE IS THE HISTORY OF JERUSALEM..

Jerusalem (Hebrew: יְרוּשָׁלַיִם (audio) (help·info), Yerushaláyim; Arabic: القُدس (audio) (help·info), al-Quds)[ii] is the capital[iii] and largest city of Israel[2] in both population and area,[3] with 732,100 residents in an area of 125.1 square kilometers (49 sq mi).[1][4] Located in the Judean Mountains, between the Mediterranean Sea and the northern tip of the Dead Sea, the city has a history that goes back as far as the 4th millennium BCE, making it one of the oldest cities in the world.[5] Jerusalem has been the holiest city in Judaism and the spiritual center of the Jewish people since the 10th century BCE.[6] The city contains a number of significant ancient Christian sites and is widely considered the third-holiest city in Islam.[7]

JERUSALEM HAS 4 QUARTERS. ARMENIA CHRISTIAN JEWISH AND MUSLIM.. FOR ALL

The walled area of Jerusalem, which constituted the entire city until the 1860s, is now called the Old City, and was added to the List of World Heritage Sites in danger in 1982.[8] The Old City has been traditionally divided into four quarters, although the names used today—the Armenian, Christian, Jewish, and Muslim Quarters—were only introduced in the early 19th century.[9] Despite having an area of only 0.9 square kilometer (0.35 square mile),[10] the Old City is home to several sites of key religious importance: the Temple Mount and its Western Wall for Jews, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre for Christians, and the Dome of the Rock and al-Aqsa Mosque for Muslims.

From Jerusalem in WIKIPEDIA.

JERUSALEM IS A HOLY CITY COMING DOWN FROM GOD OUT OF HEAVEN PREPARED AS A BRIDE FOR HER HUSBAND

HOLY BIBLE

2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

2. And I John-"John" is omitted in A, B, Vulgate, Syriac, Coptic, and Andreas; also the "I" in the Greek of these authorities is not emphatic. The insertion of "I John" in the Greek would somewhat interfere with the close connection which subsists between "the new heaven and earth," Re 21:1, and the "new Jerusalem" in this verse

I CERTAINLY COULD NOT FIND SPIRITUAL ISRAEL SHOWN IN GOD'S FAVOR IN THE STARDARD HOLY BIBLE

Source(s): Revelations 21. Jamieson-Fausset Brown Bible Commentary Jerusalem. Wikipedia HOLY BIBLE Fausett Brown BIble. KJV BIBLE
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Spiritual Israel, aka spiritual Jews, not necessarily by birthright, as some will be Jewish Christian and some Gentile; but in their hearts as they make up the 144,000 anointed ones bought from the earth.

Source(s): Reasoning Jehovah's Witnesses
  • pappyg
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The church/kingdom. 1 Peter 2:5,9 Ye also, as lively(living) stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

(9) "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar(God's own) people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light".

Col.1:13 "Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son".

Acts 2:47 "And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved".

Hebrews 12:28,29." Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptable with reverence and godly fear: For our God is a consuming fire."

Acts 8:12 " But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning thee kingdom of Gog, and th name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and woman".

Acts 28:31 " Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him".

Acts 11:25 & 26. " Then departed Barnabas to Tar'-us, for to seek Saul: and when he had found him, he brought him unto An'-ti-och. And it came to pass, that a whole year thet assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first at An'ti-och.

Source(s): KJV
  • 1 decade ago

Hey there: I believe the answer is yes and no. I think spiritual Isreal is Christendom. Yet, Christendom as a whole is apostate. The true spiritual Isreal is the faithful ones of Christians. So yes and no....

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A book that was handed down from generation to generation before it was written down?

A book that has been revised and translated, rewritten and people still proclaim it as the word of God?

All this while ignoring that part of human nature is exaggeration?

I don't think so, it is folklore and nothing more.

===============

Life is so simple, but we insist on making it complicated

Confucius

551 - 479 BC

===============

Peace

Jim

• 1 decade ago

ah...............Israel?

(God gave his Covenant)

One step further?

God also sent Jesus Christ as the Redeemer. The Chosen Ones will shift to the ones that chose Jesus. This is God's Word. This is his New and Everlasting Covenant.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Israel is the country. Not a person. The people of Israel are God's favorite according to the bible.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.