Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

Can prego women drink decaf coffee??

Ive heard that even decaf coffee has SOME caff in it..Anyone know? Im confused because on the coffee label it says " u can enjoy the taste of coffee without the caffeine"......lost.

Favorite Answer

Yes, you can safely drink decaf coffee when pregnant....you can even have up to 2 caffeinated drinks a day as long as you don't have any complications.....of course, the most of what you need to be drinking is water but go ahead and enjoy your decaf coffee!!:-)

Source(s): My OB Doc

Decaf coffee still has caffeine in it just less than regular coffee. I've heard that your not supposed to be drinking anything decaf or diet because it has certains toxins and stuff in it that aren't good for the baby. But some people drink it anyway so who really knows. Regular coffee should be fine just drink it in moderation like all caffeine. Good luck

Source(s): Mommy of baby boy 5 weeks with #2
  • Amy

I'm 38 weeks and I drink decaf every weekend when we go out for breakfast. Our baby is very healthy and growing fine. The reason why some people say it has some caffeine in it is because they actually take the caffeine out of the decaffeinated coffee bean. What is left is so minuscule it really doesn't affect you at all (otherwise your heart would beat faster, etc. like a real cup of coffee)

Of course. You can even drink caffeinated coffee, just limit your intake to one or two cups a day. I am 18wks and I still have my one cup a day - and if I just feel like drinking coffee at work I'll have decaf. I don't know that I would want to live without the stuff.

Geez, I don't know, I was going to buy some on Monday for myself because I miss coffee! Surely the small amount if any is in the decaf, as long as you only have a cup a day should be fine? I have bought decaffeinated tea - I will have to check the label!

I am 19 weeks pregnant and just went to the doctor on Thursday and he told me it is safe to have one cup of coffee a day. I am suffering from really bad headaches and he said it could be from caffeine withdrawal since I don't have sinus problems or allergies, so he said have some caffeine and things should be fine. Not too much, just a small amount like a cup of coffee ;)

• Malia

It does have some caffeine in it but not a lot. I gave it up for Lent but I used to drink decaf, maybe a 12 oz cup a day. It never harmed me or my baby.

Source(s): 35 wks prg

I don't know, but you don't have to worry about drinking caffeine when you're pregnant because you can have a small amount (like 1-2 regular 6-8oz. cups of coffee a day). You just can't over do it. Kinda like the alcohol debate, you can consume 1 drink (I'd say no more than 1 beer, 1 glass of wine or 1 shot of liquor) per day. As long as you're not drinking large amounts you're fine.

• dejavu

yes decaff still has caffeine in it, but about two cans of caffeinated soda a day is considered okay.

a cup or two (not those super huge mugs) of regular coffee a day is considered okay less then 400mg is what is recommended though that number i believes has changed and may have gone down.

they used to say four or five cans of soda were okay but now they say 2.

decaff coffee means less caffeine, not caffeine free.

decaff coffee has astronomically small amounts of caffeine, well compared to regular.

if you are worried about a cup or two of decaff coffee a day, don't stress to much. as long as you are drinking plenty of other fluids..water Gatorade, milk, orange juice, and other stuff then your little bean will be all right.

if you are really concerned, hold off and wait until your next ob appointment, i will bet they will be able to tell you how many mg of caffeine your decaff has.

and it won't be a lot.

you can drink some caffeine during pregnancy .. it*s not going to hurt .. unless you are taking full force caffeine pills .. while drinking red bulls and chewing on coffee beans !! many doctors say if you are used to dronking coffee .. continue while pregnant, just cut back from 2 cups a day to 1 cup a day or something .. you will be fine !!