Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTrivia · 1 decade ago

can someone help me with this?

John and David each bought a certain number of toy cars from a shop. John gave1/5 of his toy cars to David. Then David gave 2/9 of what he had back to John. Next, John gave 1/4 of all his toy cars to David. In the end, John had 36 toy cars and David had 68 toy cars. How many toy cars did each of them buy from the shop at first?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You can start with 'x' and 'y' and work your way forwards.

Or you can start from the end and work backwards.

After giving David 1/4 of what he had , John was left with 36 cars. That means 3/4 of what he originally had = 36. Thus he must have started with 36 * 4 / 3 = 48 cars.

Thus on the last go , John had 48 cars , out of which he gave 12 to David. After receiving the 12 from John , David ended up with 68 cars ; this means he must have started with 56 cars.

When he had 56 cars , it was after giving 2/9 of what he had , to John. This means 56 was 7/9 of what he had. Thus he started with 56 * 9 / 7 i.e. 72 cars. Out of this he gave 2/9 or 16 cars to John. Since after this transfer John had 48 cars , he started the second go with 32 cars.

Initially , John gave 1/5 of what he had to David. Which means 4/5 of what he started off with = 32. Thus at the beginning , John had 32 * 5 / 4 = 40 cars , out of which he gave David 8. Which means David started off with (72 - 8) = 64.

• 1 decade ago

John has 40 toy cars at first

Davis has 64 toy cars at first

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

john had 40. david had 64

• 1 decade ago

1/5x - 2/9x - 1/4x =36

36 x 1/4 = 9

36 + 9 = 45

45 x 2/9 = 10

45 + 10 = 55

55 x 1/5 = 11

55 + 11 = 66

John had 66 :)

I don't know if this is right, and i hope it is.

• 1 decade ago

104 toys

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think you need to put this in maths questions. its to do with ratios. Sorry I cant remember how its done except you need to work from the end to the beginning using ratios or fractions.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.