Purchasing new house with oak trim. Help!?

We are thinking of buying a new house that has all oak trim. Even though this is a pricey trim, I am very on the fence about it. It looks great, but I don't know if I will run into trouble decorating.

Opinions on white vs. oak??

Does anyone know how much it runs to replace trim?

I don't know if it's too daunting a task that we ought to find another house with white trim.

2ndly, what do you think of the looks of oak doors with all white trim (if we just kept the doors as is).. ?

Favorite Answer

I dont believe your trim will have an effect on your decorating. But, I agree, white trim is very attractive, and is shown in some very expensive homes. Downside is maintenance, as the painted trim will require upkeep, whereas, the hardwood will last without the upkeep. But, your mind is made up..so I suggest, and I bite my tongue, paint the trim, don't replace it. Since you are "tossing out the trim" it would be cheaper to paint it. It will require a shellac primer for paint to adhere to the varnished/urethane finish.

Oak stained doors still maintain their appeal with painted trim. Personally, I like the look.

But now I refer back to your "decorating" problem with oak trim, yet you want to keep the oak doors. It appears to be a collaboration of two minds of what to do, and winding up with two compromising, and having a not so great result. Sounds like the government.... just kiddling. Go ahead, do it, you will like the results...Although, some will say, "they painted the oak?" We painted the wood trim in our house, and do like it.

Oak Trim

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Opinions on white vs. oak??

I...

Source(s): purchasing house oak trim help: https://biturl.im/baZXv

You say you are not sure you like the oak trim. Do not do anything until you are sure about whether you like the oak trim or not. Painting oak trim for the first time is a big step and very time consuming to refinish back to oak if you change your mind later. May I suggest you live with it for a year before taking out the paint brushes? Personally, I would never paint over oak trim, maybe pine, but never oak. But, if you must paint over that beautiful oak, then: You will have to sand all surfaces, nooks and crannies, then prime the wood before applying your paint color. Sanding and priming are important to get a finish of paint to stick to the wood trim, otherwise skipping those steps will result in a peeling and cracked paint surface. Which will cause you nightmares in the future. Beautiful house, by the way.

oak is a preferred trim wood it is hard and is very pretty. i have not checked prices lately but think you should go to a building supply store that has an advice center...Lowe's comes to mind not a commercial plug here but all the major stores in building have people to answer your questions. Trim price also varies with the cut and the molding of the wood the simpler the design the cheaper it is. Then the cost of the wood.. oak or pine, I know of a house that has only Walnut trim... very costly.

• M S

We bought our house before it was painted and stained. The builder intended to stain all the trim. We said paint it;

my husband thought he would pass out! We had the doors

stained though, and it has always looked good to me. Sometimes the trim has matched the wall color, but right now it is all very light, almost white, and the walls are tan. We love it with the wood stained doors. If you decide to get rid of the stained trim you can paint it; just sand lightly, paint with Kilz primer, then paint the trim. Pain in the neck, but much easier and cheaper than replacing trim in most cases.

I have the oak trim. Brown tones are neutral colors. I have furniture with wood - - so wall colors & floor colors was never an issue. I would never paint wood, it's classy.

• mosaic

I HATE oak so you are going to get a very biased opinion here. I suggest painting it (start with a stain kill primer). I'd paint the doors too.

I had oak cabinets (the usual nineties thing)..I painted them! They look much better!

In this housing market I think the builder/owner will probably be very open to keeping you happy and keeping the sale......Ask