How do i wipe my computer clean and start from scratch?

My computer is mest up and wont let me to the desktop. it wont load anything and i want to delet everytghing and install a new Windows.

Update:

insert a windows xp disc or recovery disc in your computer, restart, press any key to boot from it. then format and install windows. format the drive windows is on. but everything will be gone so make sure you backupped everything and your drivers.

this is an answer from someone... i dont care if i delet everything. I

i cant do this part.. can youy explain more how to " then format and install windows. format the drive windows is on."

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Boot to the Windows CD (you may have to go into the BIOS to change to CD booting first, instead of harddrive. Press F2 or Del or whatever key it says to push when the computer starts up. "Press < > to enter Setup").

The CD will run, and come up with a screen that says something to the effect "Windows License. F8 agree//Esc Disagree" Press F8 and some options will come up (or perhaps the options come up before the license, but whatever, you get the point). You'll have the option to Install or Repair Windows. Choose to install it.

Windows will now prompt you for which partition to use. Highlight the large partition (sometimes there's a small like 3gb partition for factory settings), and press L to delete. You now freed up some space.

Now select the free space you just cleared. Windows will prompt you how to format it. You can choose NTFS (quick) or NTFS. Since you had a bunch of stuff on the computer, choose NTFS. This might take a few hours to fully format the drive.

Windows will then automatically install. Just follow the prompts. It will ask you to create the user accounts, etc. Windows takes about 20-40 min to install once the harddrive formatting is done.

Enjoy your nice, fresh computer, free of adware, spyware, and viruses you never knew you had. You'll notice a decent speed increase over before, even once you install all your programs again. Keep it fresh by running an anti-spyware program like Spybot Search & Destroy (freeware from download.com) and an antivirus program.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You need to do a cold install. If you just re-install over the existing Windows, you may have quite a bit of problems. So, format the hard drive and install using the Windows CD

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

insert a windows xp disc or recovery disc in your computer, restart, press any key to boot from it. then format and install windows. format the drive windows is on. but everything will be gone so make sure you backupped everything and your drivers.

You insert a recovery disc for your computer (if you have one) or a regular Windows XP CD... put it in your drive. Restart your computer, then it should say "Press any key to boot from drive". press any key and you follow the screen directions

• 1 decade ago

Format the hard drive then install windows.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What I always do is insert another hard drive running anything and set it to master, then set the original one to slave. then run you OS and go to my computer and find the fist drive, right click and press format, then wait...

• 5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/aw6Dc

your pc should come with a master recover disk. insert it then reboot

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

take it to best buy or some other computer store and let the tell you how. 4 free of course

Source(s): experience
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.