What Does "Slartibartfast" Mean?

Douglas Adams created this character for the "Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy" books, Radio show and TV series... I know He meant to create a name that sounds rude but it's ok to broadcast. However, I am not a Native Speaker of English and The name is completly meaningless to me. Can someone explain the joke?

• I
    Favorite Answer

It is meaningless.

The makeup of the word, however, catches the eye, as one can almost see "slut" "fart" "barf" and possibly other rude words in there, even though they aren't actually there.

And saying it is difficult and sounds funny.

I found the following in a forum on the official Douglas Adams website.

"the name "Slartibartfast" came about during the character's introduction in the radio series. Douglas wanted a funny, vaugely rude-sounding name ... but (as these things happen) what turned out funny on paper was not so funny on radio. That is, if I remember correctly, his name was going to be "Phartifukblast" or something to that effect, which when written looks like an odd name - until one says it out loud. Sort of like saying Amanda Hugnkiss or Ben Dover. They're funny to read then think to oneself, "Oh! Ahahaha! Bend over! I get it!" But on the radio, a name like "Phartifukblast" sounds ... well, it sounds like "fart a f-u-c-k blast" which is just blatantly rude and besides annoys the censors :-). Especially when you don't see it written down first. It loses some of its humor. Hence the toned down "Slartibartfast"."

Hope i helped and please no one copy what i say.