Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificPhilippines · 1 decade ago

a little boy who is filipino, calls me tita......what's that mean?

i took care of him when i worked at his daycare, both boys called me tita, but i never asked what it meant. then their mom took me out to dinner to a filipino place (which was delicious) and they called me that and a man who was dining there with his wife asked me if i was filipino....

Favorite Answer

It is a term of endearment as well as respect. This little boy is subconsciously telling you that, in the familial Filipino hierarchy, you should be accorded the same level of respect as his parents.

Tita Meaning

Tita in Filipino may mean many things. Tita means Aunt if the person calling you is a niece or nephew. If you are called Tita by a younger person not related to you it is just an endearment to show respect. It may also mean Girl or Friend if its a gay person calling you Tita.

Tita means aunt. It is a sign of respect and somehow show some kind of closeness. Why? because you don't know call anybody tito or tita. Normally it is Ms or Mr or Sir or Mam - somewhat distant

• J@ps

You've got answers already.

But I want to add that "tita" is the Tagalog term of aunt which is a contraction of the Spanish word "tia".

But that does not necessarily mean that they consider you their aunt, which can very well be the case. But one other explanation is that "tita" can be just a term of endearment or a term someone younger will use to an elder female as a sign of respect or honor.

Tita means Aunt in Tagalog. The little boy is calling you his aunt. Kids like me call our real aunts tita and even my parent's closest friends who are girls tita. Tito is uncle in Tagalog.

It's actually a term for aunt.However any lady or woman older than you is addressed tita for respect

Thank you because I, at least, learned a word of the Filipinos' "TITA". It's ultimately 'AUNT'? So sweet to think of it.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): boy filipino calls tita 39 mean: https://shortly.im/OaI7O

yes,they are all right my friend, it's aunt for english.That's the way we addressed our endeared aunts,sign of respect and love for them.

Hi there tita carla!I might as well call you tita.

"Tita" literally means "aunt". In Philippine culture, it is considered bad manners to call someone who is older by their first name. Most Filipinos will call people who are friends of their parents or basically somebody who is older "tito" or "tita". If they're not much older (say about a couple of years), they may call them "ate" (pronounced as A-TEH) or "kuya" which literally mean older sister and older brother respectively. Other Asian cultures are similar. The Chinese also have their own way of showing respect to older (not necessarily "old") people.