Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 decade ago

Can i tile over my lino floors?

My house has concrete floors with a really really old lino layed on top. I am wanting to tile my floors and wondering if i can just tile right on top of the lino. The lino has not lifted anywhere, and because it is really old, It must be glued down really well. I know that it will be a huge mission to get it all pulled up along with the old glue under it. Does Anybody have any experience with this?

Favorite Answer

Yes, you can tile directly over the old linoleum, or over tile for that matter. First I will explain how to Ceramic tile over it, then how to use a regular 12 x 12 vinyl over it.

You will need to nail down metal lath. That is a product that is actually galvanized perforated ex panda metal that is used often in the dry walling. It comes 28 inches wide by about 120 long and costs about $6.

You need an air gun to nail it to the existing concrete floor, or if you have a small area a cement drill and screws will work just fine.

Once nailed or screwed down, the metal lath can then be coated with ceramic tile adhesive mortar and the floor installed much as one directly over concrete or wood plywood.

On installing 12 x 12 vinyl tile over the linoleum, that too can be done very successfully. You need to roughen up the surface with an orbital floor sander to improve adhesion and clean up the surface. An orbital floor sander can be rented at Home Depot for about $35 a day plus pads.

The vinyl tile can then be laid directly over the old linoleum in the same manner as over a regular plywood floor.

Yes, you can tile over the linoleum, but you'll need an underlaying material. The material can be found at any hardware store like Lowe's or Home Depot. It is cheap...like 25 cents a square foot. Easy to install over lino, so you don't have to take that up. Put the underlaying down and the tile right over that. Laying the tile and cutting it will be the hardest part of your job! Good luck.

You don't have to remove the old flooring. Some things to consider though:

1. Will the new floor height still allow for doors to close and transition well from one type of flooring to another, such as carpet?

2. Will the mortar adhere to the lino? You may have to scuff the finish off the lino to allow for good adhesion. Much like sanding a car helps the paint to stick.

Good luck!!

• anne c

I'm going out on a limb and saying you need to remove the linolium in order to do it right. If the old stuff starts lifting under the tiles, you'll have a real problem. It's kind of like painting over wall paper...you can do it, but it's not a good idea.

The vinyl you can buy nowadays is leagues ahead of the stuff you got years ago. There's much better designs and better quality. The laminate/tiles look ok, but I know someone who's washing machine had a leak and poured a reasonably small amount of water onto the laminate which completely ruined the entire floor (Its was a kitchen grade laminate as well) So I would opt for vinyl personally.

tiling tha floor cost a lot of money, and its best to take out the lino! you dont want to regret someday im telling you...

Yes you can, not recommended,cus' as you said your flooring is very old chances are that it may come lose.as hard as it may be to remove old flooring it's easier than removing both if the old one comes loose. and you don't have to remove all adhesive you can go over with tile.

yes you can....... because you have a cement floor I would definetly NOT put any type of cement board or underlayment down........what you need to do is to rent a floor sander and lightly scuff the old vinyl being careful not to sand all the way through.....that way the thin set will bond to your old flooring a lot better........I have seen it done that way quite a few times and have had no problems............

great answer DON WW saving money &right to the point!!!!

Source(s): steve @ personaltouchservices.biz