If the mom is diabetic, what are the chances daughter will also be diabetic?

I'm going to need a kidney transplant in the near future. My daughter has offered me one but I'm afraid she may also become a diabetic and she will need both kidneys.

Favorite Answer

are you type 1 or type 2 diabetic? other people will say as long as she stay healthy and doesn't become over weight she will not become diabetic...or at least have less of a chance. that is not true however for type 1 diabetics...you never know for sure if and when it will come until it happens...and there is nothing you can possibly do to prevent it. my mom has been type1 diabetic for about 25 years, she had twins. when i was 10 years old, i was diagnosed with type 1diabetes...my sister has not, and she may never. so it is possible that your daughter may get diabetes, but she may not. please don't worry about the future too much. since you know you will need a kidney transplant...try finding another donor now so that if when the time comes you don't need to worry so much about your health or your daughters health. i wish you the best of luck with everything!

Source(s): type 1 diabetic 9+ years

There is a hereditary link to diabetes. But early teaching of good dietary habits and exercise and weight control will reduce her chances significantly. Start building good habits now. If you feed her healthy foods all her life then she will prefer them.My parents were health nuts when it wasn't in style and I won't touch "garbage" food. Yuck!!lol PS: It DOESN'T skip generations.Every generation of a family is equally at risk. Healthy habits make the difference.

diabetes usually skips a generation eg. if a a mum is a diabetic and she has a daughter, the daughter wouldnt be a diabetic but then if that daughter had a child, that child would be.

there is a higher percentage chance for the father if he has diabetes for the child to but it is still a chance u should take into consideration. and it often does skip generations.

Did you already tried using Reverse Your Diabetes Today mechanism? Go to this url : http://www.DiabetesGoGo.com/Support . This is able to extremely manage one and all!