Becoming rally driver?

I'm 19... I got my drivers licence a year ago, and I haven't driven a car before. Am I to old? I hope not cos most of the WRC champions are 27-28 or older...

And what to do? I don't have much money, so I can't just buy cars, crash them and buy new ones...

I live in Croatia, so it won't help me if you give me some rally schools in USA, and I doubt you know ones here... but if you do, great.

Do you know if I can just go to some school and get a car? Or do I need to have my car...

Anyway, any help and information is appreciated

Favorite Answer

"Am I to old?"

Nah, you still have alot of time left before you're too old to learn.

"And what to do? I don't have much money, so I can't just buy cars, crash them and buy new ones..."

No one does that. They take old cars, sometimes crash them and learn that way. You'll find that even the pros, in the beginning of their careers don't use "new" cars. They find old cars that resemble their flagship vehicle in performance and practice with them instead.

"Do you know if I can just go to some school and get a car? Or do I need to have my car..."

Unfortunately, your part of the world doesn't encourage rallying or most motorsports like western Europe does, so it'll be hard to find a school. It would be good if you could find atleast an instructor who can guide you through the basics of rallying. But, if you can find a school, in about 95% of cases they will provide you with a car. You will have to put an insurance deposit and pay a part of the damage if you total the car.

Rallying is a rather simple sport to learn. That is why I personally favor it over any of the other motorsports. It's simple because it's realistic. You take a normal, stock car, go to a normal everyday road and race. Of course, the pros modify the cars, but you can still learn a lot on stock cars if you're a beginner.

So, find an instructor, get a cheap car that you won't have to worry too much about crashing, get the safety gear, find a race track/road, and get started from there. Even if you don't make it to the pros, it's still a great, fun sport to take part in.

Source(s): Former Pro-Rally Racer Former Street Racer

It pays to start early but you can still make it work. I think Michael Schumacher was in his 40s before he started racing as a pro.

What you need to do is buy a cheap can just to learn how to drive. Personally I use the same car that I drive to work with. For rally the ideal car is all wheel drive but if that is not an option go for a front wheel drive. Make sure it has a hand break.

See if farmers will let you race around in fields where there is nothing to crash into. You need to learn how to judge how fast you can take a corner, how to power slide, when you slow down, when to speed up, ect.

It just takes time to learn. Racing schools are great if you can find one but you may have to go to the US or Europe to do that. The UK has some good ones. Google it some time.

In almost all kinds of racing, there are two types: Own the team or rent-a-ride. So you don't need your own car. But in order to race in most countries, you need a racing license, which can only be obtained through a racing school. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I'm not too familiar with Croatia.

i'm 22 been driving almost 5 years, was tort to drive at a young age and always wanted to try rally driving, how do i go about doing this?

nice