Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesFord · 1 decade ago

whats the diference between a forged engine and a regular engine?

i have a 04 mustang gt 5spd and was wondering if that gives me extra hp if i forged my engine and my pistons and all that or what does it help on?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

K-loper is rite..................Most parts are made from a mold or casting. They pour hot liquid metal in to the molds and let it cool , then trim the excess off.

Forged - Anything : means it was a solid square block of metal in the beginning , and then they carved the solid block into a shape.

Like a wood carving, of say a Duck , thats forged. It started out as a solid block of wood , and then is forged or carved in to the shape of a duck .

Metal is dirt.....like rust is what steel looks like when it comes out of the ground originally.

When the steel rusts , it is simply turning back to it's original state, of a dirt or ore.

So metal is like concreat . When poured in to a block it compacts a lot more , because of it's own weight (or specific gravity weight). So the metal is much denser per square inch in a block then a mold.

And when poured in to a block there is less bubbles that can happen and leave weak spots.

There is a lot of material "waste" left over when forging , thus why it cost more.

Much more then just pouring what you need in to a mold.

• 3 years ago

Forged Meaning

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

whats the diference between a forged engine and a regular engine?

i have a 04 mustang gt 5spd and was wondering if that gives me extra hp if i forged my engine and my pistons and all that or what does it help on?

Source(s): whats diference forged engine regular engine: https://biturl.im/Br4dJ
  • 1 decade ago

cast pistons are made from a mold that aluminum is poured into. A forged piston starts out as an ingot of aluminum and through a pressing/squeezing process, it is shaped into a piston. Crank shafts are along similar lines, there is no "forged motor"

the only way forged pistons will give you more power is if they make a higher compression ratio than their cast counter parts. However, your GT may already have forged or Hyperutectic pistons (almost as strong as forged pistons) like the 5.0 H.O. motors had.

• J Michael4 years agoReport

There actually are forged motors, that is to say there are engines with forged engine blocks, they are rare but they exist. So in theory, if each component of an engine was forged rather than cast, you could have a fully forged motor.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Forged parts give you more strength. Has nothing to do with adding horse power. What forged items do is not break with the additional horsepower. You see this in HIGH power engines where you're going above 500hp or so. Not something you need.

• 4 years ago

Engines are measured by the volume (displacement) of the cylinders. 350 refers to 350 cubic inches, while 454 refers to 454 cubic inches. More modern engines are usually categorized with metric measurements; for example, a 350 cubic inch engine is a 5.7 liter engine. Traditionally, the 350 engine is a "small block" engine while the 454 is a "big block" engine. The block of the engine is the part where the cylinders are that house the pistons.

• 1 decade ago

the way the metal is made like forged steel cranks etc. stronger material

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.