Nobel Prize Winners Publications?

I need to find the citation for the actual publication which led to the Nobel prize in chemistry for each winner over the last ten years. I've tried using wikipedia and google but all i seem to find are articles about the winning, nothing to do with the actual publication that led to the achievement. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • hfshaw
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You are laboring under a misunderstanding of how and why Nobel Prizes are awarded. Typically, a Nobel Prize is not given in recognition for a single publication, but for a body of work in a particular area a collection of relevant publications. For example, this year's winner, Gerhard Ertl, won for "for his studies of chemical processes on solid surfaces". Ertl has been studying surface-catalyzed reactions for well over 30 years, and has hundreds of relevant publications. Last year's winner, Roger Kornberg, won for his studies of the molecular basis of eukaryotic transcription [of DNA]. From the official Nobel Foundation website, "His studies of this process have extended over thirty years, with many milestones of discovery along the way, culminating more recently with his discovery of the intricate details of one of the most complicated molecular assemblies ever seen."

Furthermore, the prize is often awarded to multiple recipients in a single year, each of whom have made a sustained contribution in some area. It is rare that the award is made for a single paper authored by a single person (or team).

A good resource is the official Nobel Foundation website, which has summaries of the awardees' research, transcripts and videos of interviews and acceptance speeches, links to related sites, etc. The URL for the Chemistry prize is given as the source below.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.