Can I plug a 16 port switch into a 4 port router/wap/switch??

I'd like to put the 4 port router/combo device and my cable modem in one central location. I would also like to plug a 10 (or more) port switch into the router, so that I can run a cable from the swtich to each room (6 rooms) in my house. The reason being is so that each room has hard ware provisions in... show more I'd like to put the 4 port router/combo device and my cable modem in one central location. I would also like to plug a 10 (or more) port switch into the router, so that I can run a cable from the swtich to each room (6 rooms) in my house.

The reason being is so that each room has hard ware provisions in addition to the wireless N internet access.

Can I do this? Is a crossover cable all I need to connect one port on the router to one port on the switch? Any advice is well appreciated, thanks.