T-Bone
Lv 7
T-Bone asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why did Obama flip flop on the Patriot Act?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

He's too inexperienced to hold a steady course on any issue.

I don't like his politics--he changes them too often. Apparently one thing has been made clear, the Obamas are ashamed of this country although they were afforded opportunities that few American citizens have been.

America wished for a change from the Bush administration--they are going from the frying pan into the fire with Obama:

Obama wants to give .7% of the US GNP to the UN

this is no BS

Check his site:

http://obama.senate.gov/press/071211-oba...

and check the facts about the bill he sponsored:

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/pub...

The legislation would commit the U.S. to spending 0.7 percent of gross national product on foreign aid, which amounts to a phenomenal 13-year total of $845 billion over and above what the U.S. already spends.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Insight from the Washigton Post...

Political candidates routinely indulge in exaggeration, pandering, inconsistency and self-serving obscuration. Clinton and McCain do. The reason for holding Obama to a higher standard is that it's his standard and also his campaign's central theme. He has run on the vague promise of "change," but on issue after issue -- immigration, the economy, global warming -- he has offered boilerplate policies that evade the underlying causes of the stalemates. These issues remain contentious because they involve real conflicts or differences of opinion.

The contrast between his broad rhetoric and his narrow agenda is stark, and yet the media -- preoccupied with the political "horse race" -- have treated his invocation of "change" as a serious idea rather than a shallow campaign slogan. He seems to have hypnotized much of the media and the public with his eloquence and the symbolism of his life story. The result is a mass delusion that Obama is forthrightly engaging the nation's major problems when, so far, he isn't.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because the patriot act was signed under duress. Congress passed it soon after 911, thinking it would help deter acts of terror against the u.s., but did not realize it would also be used as spy on u.s. citizens. There are several congressmen who have said they signed it without READING it, as a matter of fact. It's sad, but true. Now some of them have the guts to say it should be changed, so basic rights to privacy arent compromised. Obama is one of the FEW senators who VOTED AGAINST INVADING IRAQ. Now, we're stuck there, and McCain wants to STAY THE COURSE? sad....more lives lost, just because ADULTS CANT ADMIT THEY MADE A MISTAKE. (now, admitting a mistake is called FLIP FLOPPING)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

wow. you sure are a genius.

the second was the amended protect america act, not the patriot act, and he made a statement on the subject:

he said

""Far From Perfect" But Modestly Improved the Original Law"

but, i am sure that you are too busy opposing democrats to be able to see past the end of your nose.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm a Dem and I will still vote for the man if he ends up with the nomination... if he doesn't and she does.. I will not vote. But I recognize BS when I see it and he's got his share.. there is no golden child in this election season.

• 1 decade ago

Nobody knew who he was at the time, now he is trying to win the job of leader of the free world, he'll say whatever you want to hear....because it's change. Change, change, change...power word, power word, blah blah....make you feel good, blah blah. He's a politician, you have to expect that.

• 1 decade ago

the wind started blowing the other way

• qwert
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

He wasn't running for president then, now he is.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.