What is the main difference between Logic And Philosophy?

Favorite Answer

The concept of possibility -vs-probability

Well, the two are, in my mind, closely correlated. I think that the main difference, for me at least, is that philosophy uses logic. Logic doesn't use philosophy. To consider and think about philosophy, we must use logic. But to use logic, we do not necessarily need to use philosophy. Hopefully that was somewhat understandable.

Philosophy is a specific way to apply logic. Logic is just a capability that people have.

I cannot believe no one above me has the correct answer.

Logic is mathematical. Yes, it deals with English, and syllogistic logic uses language. But there are formulas, and they must be done right--there are 60 forms that are wrong, and only 12 that MIGHT be right.

The propositions are labeled as A type; E; I; and O types. They can be diagramed, which is where it begins to work like math. [(Ex)S(x)][S(x) ⊃x P(x)]

There are major, minor, and middle "terms." There are "converses," "contraries," "contradictions," "alterns," "sub-alterns" and more.

Philosophy uses these forms to make theory understandable and--logical. It uses these forms to decide whether a statement is "equivocal" or "univocal."

Philosophy is definately about opinions; but those opinions must conform to the rules of logic, or the opinions are nothing more than junk.

"Logic, formal: Investigates the structure of propositions and of deductive reasoning by a method which abstracts from the content of propositions which come under consideration and deals only with their logical form. "

Logic is a sub-set of Philosophy like ethics, metaphysics or epistomology, so Logic IS Philosophy but not the entirety of Philosophy. (ie - it is one of the subject areas within formal Philosophy)

I think Logic is the actual thought process. Some are keener than others. Philosophy is my take on life whether logical or not.

faith has dogmas that are no longer allowed to be puzzled, yet Philosophy questions each thing. faith says it has all the solutions devoid of asking any questions, at the same time as Philosophy seeks solutions via asking many questions.

Philosophy may differ from person to person, but logic is real. It can niether be created nor be destroyed.

Logic is so called proved with statement.

Philosophy is "awaiting" approval from the majority.

hence, different views hold different thinking -Philosophy

• myfro

logic is real, Philosophy is some one else's opinion

i could go through all the logical processes...

..but id still only ever end with a possibility.

Logic is something we are taught, philosophy is something we embrace.