Do bulbs not yet in bloom need fertilizer?

I saved the bulbs from a georgeous Star of Bethlehem plant. I set the pot in the cold garage, It will soon be Spring, should I fertilize the bulbs before they come up and boom?

• Justme
    Favorite Answer

I don;t see that it would do any harm

The most important fertilizing for bulbs is when they're first planted. Add organic matter into the soil along with a high phosphorous fertilizer dug in at root depth. One-half pound of super phosphate per 100 square feet is adequate.

As bulbs finish flowering, let the foliage mature fully. Remove only the faded flowers and top inch of the flower stem. The remaining foliage and stems will manufacture food for the bulb as they mature or "ripen." When you can easily pull the yellowed leaves and stems from the ground, the process is complete.

It always help to keep the energy up in the plant, and increase your blooms. Go ahead and fertilize now, but fall would have been better.

no you should not they should have fertilizer after they bloom