How do I stop scammers from emailing me, using my own email address?

The last culprits are "orderself.com" , a supposed Canadian pharmacy. How are they using my email address, and how can I stop them? Who, if anyone, should I complain to??

When I say they are using my email address, the sender appears to be ME! I checked it very carefully, and it is not a similar email address. It really is mine.

How do they do that?

sneakemail.com , spamgourmet.com , mailinator.com… those seem like a lot of trouble to go through, but I’ll consider it because I’ve already tried the “block email addresses” and “block domains” route. I often answer email for a non-profit group so I do get email from people I don’t know. I can’t do an “approved senders” list for that reason. I did end up blocking my own email address, but I hated to do that because I often send email to myself to make sure my message is going out.

Spam gives me so much more work to do in addition to what I already have to do. I HATE SPAMMERS!!!! >:(

Favorite Answer

You can restrict (block) who sends you e-mails. In theory, using the block feature in your e-mail account is a good idea. When you add senders to the block list, their messages are automatically deleted. In practice, though, this does little to prevent spam since spammers change return addresses continually (they are nearly always fraudulent since spamming is illegal).

You can try setting up filters in your e-mail program. But again, spammers have figured out how to get around these filters.

The easiest way to block spam is to implement an approved senders list. This blocks messages from all senders not on the list. They go to the Junk folder, where you can (and should) review them.

1) AOL Instant Messaging (AIM) lets you build a list of e-mail addresses you wish to block. To find these controls: click Settings on the AOL toolbar and then click Spam Controls. Click Control Who I Get Mail From. To limit senders to your Buddies list, click “Allow mail only from people I know.”

To further limit your selection, select “Allow mail only from senders on my Custom Sender List” (be sure to create/stock this list). To exclude e-mail from particular addresses, select “Block mail from all senders on my Custom Sender List.” (OR, in AOL 9.0, click the Edit link to the right of Sender Filter. In the Sender Filter dialogue box, click on one of the radio buttons or click the link “Use a Custom Sender link.”)

To create a Custom Sender List: click Custom Sender List. Type in an address and click the Add button. Repeat this process until you have finished adding to the Custom Sender List. Click the Save button. Then click the radio button whether the blocked mail is Permanently deleted or Delivered to Spam Folder. Then click the Save button.

2) You can block up to 500 senders in Yahoo. To do this: go to Yahoo’s Mailbox page and click Mail Options on the right hand side. Click Block Addresses. In the next window, you can add an address to be blocked or remove a block.

3) To block e-mail in Hotmail, click Options, Mail, and then Junk E-Mail Protection. Click Block Senders. Type the address you wish to block and click Add. Then click OK. You can add up to 500 addresses in Hotmail for your approved list. Just click Mail on the Options page, Junk E-Mail Protection, and then Safe List. Type the e-mail address you wish to add to your approved list. Then click the Add button.

There are challenge and response system programs for e-mails: messages from senders not in your address book or on an approved list will not go to your inbox. Instead, the sender is asked to confirm the e-mail. Once the sender responds, the original message is delivered. Since spammers do not have time to reply, spam messages will not be delivered.

Three popular challenge and response programs are:

eTrust Anti-Spam (formerly Qurb) http://www.qurb.com

Vanquish Anti-Spam http://www.vanquish.com

WinAntiSpam http://www.winantispam.com/

ChoiceMail http://www.digiportal.com/choicemail.html

There are also places online where you can get disposable addresses. Here are a few to check out:

A) http://sneakemail.com/ This free site recommends:

1. Create an account: Providing a username, a password, and an email address you wish hidden from spammers.

2. Every time you need to give out your email address to somebody you do not trust, log in to Sneakemail and create a new Sneakemail address.

3. Give the Sneakemail address to them instead.

Mail sent to this Sneakemail address is rerouted to your real address, and when you reply it is rerouted back to the sender. Your real e-mail address is never seen at the other end. If you receive unwanted mail (ads, spam, etc.) through this Sneakemail address, you can control it by either filtering incoming mail using the Sneakemail filters; disabling the Sneakemail address itself; or disposing of it permanently. You will also know where the spammer got your address.

An example of use: Let’s assume you have already set up an account at Sneakemail.

At this point you have a username (sneakejohnny), a password (blabla) and an e-mail address (johnnyh@hotmail.com) where you wish to receive mail but don’t want to give it out to potential spammers, or to those who may eventually give/sell your address to spammers.

You decide to buy a book at (the hypothetical) BargainBooks.com. The retailer asks you for your e-mail address. Now there are many innocent reasons why an online business would want your e-mail address, but your e-mail address could end up in the wrong hands (or a current employee could illegally sell your address). You could get spam at johnnyh@hotmail.com forever.

Instead of typing in your primary e-mail address (johnnyh@hotmail.com), you click your Sneakemail bookmark, which pops up Sneakemail.com; you log in; and click on “Create a new Sneakemail address.”

Here you will find a form. You label the Sneakemail address “BargainBooks”, click “Create”, and are given a Sneakemail address, say x01y02z03@sneakemail.com

You simply cut and paste x01y02z03@sneakemail.com into the BargainBooks.com purchase form at and complete your order. You never gave them your primary e-mail address (johnnyh@hotmail.com), but instead you gave them a Sneakemail address which is an alias of johnnyh@hotmail.com. Even though it's a Sneakemail address, it is a real, working email address, albeit, not your primary e-mail address.

Now when mail is sent to x01y02z03@sneakemail.com, it goes to a Sneakemail server and is forwarded on to johnnyh@hotmail.com. The e-mail is unaltered, except the From: section which reads

From: “order@bargainbooks.com |BargainBooks|” < x01y02z03@sneakemail.com>

Upon looking at the From: line, you can see that it really came from bargainbooks.com and was sent to the Sneakemail address in which you labeled BargainBooks in the (Sneakemail) account sneakeuser.

If you reply to this email, your reply will go back to the Sneakemail servers, and will be rerouted to order@bargainbooks.com, and it will appear to BargainBooks.com as if it had come from x01y02z03@sneakemail.com.

If you were careful ONLY to give this address out to BargainBooks.com, and if, sometime in the future, you begin receiving spam at this BargainBooks Sneakemail address, you will know exactly where the spammer got this address. Then, if you like, you can go to Sneakemail.com and delete the Sneakemail address BargainBooks. Now you will no longer receive email through this address, including all the spam.

B) Spamgourmet: http://www.spamgourmet.com/

How spamgourmet works: There is nothing to install on your computer. Once you have set up your free account, you may not ever have to go back to Spamgourmet. Through Spamgourmet you give a different email address to every business or web site, while getting all your primary e-mails as usual.

Protect yourself from spam in three easy steps

1. First, create a spamgourmet account. Enter your user name and your e-mail address you want to be protected.

2. Spamgourmet will forward to your primary e-mail address all the e-mails sent to your spamgourmet disposable addresses.

3. Then you can give out the Spamgourmet self-destructing disposable e-mail addresses whenever you want. The disposable addresses are in the form of:

someword.x.user@spamgourmet.com

where someword is a word you have never used before, x is the number of e-mail messages you want to receive at this address (up to 20), and user is your username.

For example, if your user name is “ponysoldier”, and XYZCorp wants you to give them your email address, instead of giving them your primary address, give them this one:

fromxyzcorp.3.ponysoldier@spamgourmet.com

This disposable email address will be created at Spamgourmet the first time XYZCorp uses it (you don't have to do anything to create it), and you'll receive at most 3 messages, forwarded to your primary address—the rest will be disposed of by Spamgourmet.

C) Mailinator: http://www.mailinator.com

Here is how it works: If someone asks for your email, you are gambling with your privacy. On the other hand, you may want at least one message from that person. Give them a mailinator address. You don’t need to sign-up for the free Mailinator account. Just make it up on the spot. For example, choose jonesy@mailinator.com or bipster@mailinator.com -- pick anything you want (up to 15 characters before the @ sign).

Later, come to this site and check that account. Mailinator accounts are created when mail arrives for them. No signup, no personal information, and when you're done -- you can walk away -- an instant solution to one way spammers get your address. It’s an anti-spam solution for everyone. The messages are automatically deleted for you after a few hours.

You can try ( if your email software has this feature) to add the sender's email to the block senders list and also send all of the mail addressed from them to automatically send them to the spam folder.

Also, be sure to have the latest spyware software running on your PC and the most up to date anti-virus definitions installed.

Anyone can put anything they like as the From address on emails. It is as easy to forge as the return address on the back of an envelope.

If you never email yourself, you can just set up a rule in whatever mail client you use to discard any emails that claim to be form you.

What do you mean they are using your email address ? They are signing up for spam with your email address? Or are they logging onto your email account and spamming? If this change your password and alternate email address. Otherwise if they are sending spam email bombs and saying it came from your email address then there is nothing you can do but wait for them to stop. :-(

I get these scams everyday from Nigeria or the UK and I forward them to spam@uce.gov

unsuscribe or mark as spam or 1-800 them to DEATH!!!!!!

chances are that You Identity has been stolen ,get a lawyer.