Are British police allowed to park on double yellow and zig-zag lines?

Outside my office in London, UK, police have stopped a couple of motorcyclists and are taking their details. It doesn’t seem like an emergency and the car’s warning beacons are off. Yet the police have stopped their car half on a zig-zag while line and half on double yellow lines. Are they floating the law while enforcing it?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

If stopping a motorist then the police can stop and deal with that motorist on double yellow lines. I see no issue with that. That is not flouting the law.

In relation to the zig-zag lines then I would suggest that the officers got the motorist to move forwards so that they could clear the zig zags. After all the purpose of the zig zag lines are to give other motorists a clear view of the crossing. If they didn't and just put their warning lights on all they would be doing would be to distract the attention of other motorists away from the crossing. So in answer to your question it would be wiser to move forwards slightly (or backwards, whichever is the case).

Source(s): UK cop
  • Ian UK
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Parking on double yellow lines or zig zags would have to be justified by the officer doing it. We are not above the law.

However, if an officer thought it appropriate to stop in such an area then they would be subject to the same laws as everyone else. if they were prosecuted then their justification would be looked at in the same way as yours would if you had committed the offence.

However, common sense must prevail. If an officer attended a report of someone being stabbed or another emergency and had to park on zig zags then this would obviously be justified.

Source(s): UK Copper
  • flint
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

They can park on double yellow lines if it's Police business as for the zig zag lines that was a bit stupid to say the least.

• 1 decade ago

A police officer in the UK can overrule most traffic signs and often ignore yellow lines to be able to do their duty.I do agree with the other officer on here that unless it was something really serious to stop on zig zag lines is not very sensible to say the least..

Source(s): 30 years police
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Are you Dovi or just Dopey?......They are in the execution of there lawfull public duties and can quite frankley park anywhere...They are the Law....full stop....get over it...

What happened, applied for the Police and didnt make the grade? so you are stuck in an office with nowt to do?

We are not in America where sirens and lights are used for mediocre incidents. Dont you think it would be a bit stupid for the Police to leave there lights on for a parking ticket.....I suggest you leave the policing of our streets to the Police, they dont stand watching you do your work behind your desk do they? At least they are doing the job they are getting paid for!...what are you doing?...nowt.

• 1 decade ago

As another answerer has said you should go and asked them why they are parked, if they use they warning beacons to stop the motorcyclists their warning beacons would still be flashing when they exited the car, they were doing their duty.

Also the police car would be least 1.5 mts from the kerb. as a warning for other vehicles

Source(s): Met Police KENNINGTON 200208 1350 GMT
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its the highway code that states that you cannot park on double yellow lines or zig zags. It should apply to all road users.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the only thing they are guilty of in this instance is stupidity.

they should allow the motorist to move to a better postion to take details parking two vehicles on the zigzag lines is not a very sensible thing to do

• 1 decade ago

Police have to comply with all traffic laws unless in pursuit or I guess to prevent danger or harm to other road users. Unless they're "practising" or trying to get home in time for lunch.

Why don't you go and point this out to them? I'm sure they will see the error of their ways. LOL

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Why do you not go out there in tell them, YOU think they are breaking the law. By the way it is not floating,the word your looking is flouting.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.