What exactly is a Red Raider?

One of our teachers asked us what a Red Raider was or where the term came from, and I cant find anything about it because the google only gives me a bunch of results about various Red Raider football programs... thanks

8 Answers

Relevance
  • JOHN B
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, as you have already discovered, the term "Red Raider" has been a designation of not one of several university teams, including, most famously, Texas Tech University, and formerly, years ago, Colgate University. Here is website article about the derivation of the term:

"The Red Raiders nickname

Two letters-to-the-editor that I got this week ask a question that I'm sure many other people also have in mind. Here's one of the letters:

"The Minnesota Gophers are funny. They won't play the Fighting Sioux because of the team's nickname. But last weekend, they played a bowl game against the Red Raiders of Texas Tech. What do they think a Red Raider is?"

The answer to the question is this: Red Raider turns out to mean several things. If it has an American Indian connotation, then it's apparently verbotten, according to the NCAA. But if it doesn't (and Texas Tech's doesn't), then it's OK.

On its Web site (texastech.cstv.com/trads/text-m-fb-atoz.html), Texas Tech describes its nickname this way:

"The first athletic teams became known as the Matadors ... thanks to the head coach's wife. Mrs. Ewing Young Freeland preferred Matadors because of the Spanish architectural influence on campus. The college colors of scarlet and black and team name of Matadors were adopted by students on March 15, 1926, during a convocation. The teams remained as Matadors until 1936 when Red Raiders was adopted.

"The name-change from Matadors to Red Raiders came from Lubbock Avalanche-Journal sports writer Collier Parris, reflecting on their red uniforms and a strong season. Covering a football game in 1932, he wrote: 'The Red Raiders from Texas Tech, terror of the Southwest this year, swooped in the New Mexico University camp today.' The name caught on and by 1936, the Matadors had faded into history, replaced by the Red Raiders."

The school's mascot is a Zorro-like figure, the Masked Rider, who is "mounted on a black quarterhorse" and "leads the football team on to the field." All of which was apparently enough to reassure the NCAA, which left Texas Tech off of its 2005 list of teams with "hostile and abusive" nicknames.

Interestingly, other teams with Red Raiders as their nickname did get into various degrees of hot water (though not from the NCAA), the heat seeming to vary directly with the amount of Indian imagery used. For example, here's Colgate University's story, as told by Wikipedia:

"For much of its history, Colgate's sports teams were called the 'Red Raiders.' The origin of the name is disputed -- some claim it was in reference to the school color, maroon, while others say that it was a reference to the team's ability to defeat its much larger rival, the Cornell University 'Big Red.' In the 1970s, the school debated changing the name because of concerns that it was offensive to Native Americans. At that time the name was kept, but the mascot was changed from a Native American to a hand holding a torch.

"In 2001, a group of students approached the administration with the concern that the name 'Red Raiders' still implied a Native American mascot. The school agreed to drop the word 'Red' from the team name starting in the 2001-02 school year, due to concerns about the lingering association of 'Red' with previously used Native American iconography (whether or not the use of the term 'Red' was intended as such). Some local TV outlets still use the logo with 'Red Raiders' on it. A new mascot was introduced in 2006-07."

All of which brings up another issue. Blogger Shane Deel describes it at blogs.reporter-news.com/abil/baird/ (scroll down, way down):

While Colgate's Red Raider nickname caused problems, "Texas Tech avoided being put on the hostile and abusive nickname list because their Red Raiders mascot was based on Spanish cultural influence ... Apparently, Indians are more likely to be offended by the exact same nickname than the Spanish."

• 4 years ago

Red Raider

• 4 years ago

Raider Definition

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What exactly is a Red Raider?

One of our teachers asked us what a Red Raider was or where the term came from, and I cant find anything about it because the google only gives me a bunch of results about various Red Raider football programs... thanks

Source(s): red raider: https://tr.im/eP9fY
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/iBNz5

Well the Raiders beat the Cowboys! How dumb was that! Yes, they do some God awfully stupid things. But it's about the drawing power of the games. I've worked inside with the REAL people. BIG names mean a better chance of "Sold Out" games, which mean more TV revenues and sponsorships. They'll sell the things that fans want to generate additional revenues. This day in age, Draft Picks are poor bets for a crowd draw with most picks falling to injuries or poor performance, in the first or second year of playing. Losing teams have to weigh the bottom line with revenues and "incidental" incomes, i.e, parking fees, concessions, sponsors, TV revenues, "Team" memorabilia and stuff like that. They have to balance their budgets like everybody else. If you have a "Loser" team, you always have next year, and if the team is the worst, you'll get another first round pick anyway, but the debts are right now. Stay in the "Red" too long, the team gets sold and moves. Team draw means "Millions of dollars" of additional revenues each year. Simple ticket sales with fans filling the stadium is only a small portion of the revenues needed to keep a team. Televised games locally bring in vast amounts of additional income for the team, as does the "Parking Fees" that the fans pay. Each hot dog, beer or anything that you purchase at the game gives the team money. Let's face it, it comes down to who's going to come to the team and fill the seats right now! Not years from now.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The junior high I went to in southeast Texas had the Red Raider as it's mascot. the mascot was depicted as a person on a white horse wearing white with a white cowboy hat, with a red mask (like the Lone Ranger mask) and a red cape.

Also see this link to wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Tech_Red_Raider...

• 7 years ago

It seems to me the name now belongs solely to Texas Tech.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

a red rider is a wagon

for you know little kids

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.