Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Does 1 John 2:4 conflict with your beliefs as a Christian?

grumpy: man the avatar fits! Same response as last time, go back and read it.....opps you are too lazy!

• Tzadiq
    Favorite Answer

1 John 2:3 By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments.

1 John 2:4 The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;

1 John 2:5-6 but whoever * keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.

The Question is whose commandments. Those "Christians" who have answered this and No of coarse not we should keep his commandments actually believe in their heart that the commandments they are to keep are Yahshua's commandments which in some way that I have yet to figure out are different than the Old Testament commandments?

The clue that makes this a lie is found in verse 6 which says that we will walk as He (Yahshua) walked. Now, even the most nominal of Christians recognise and will even use as an excuse for ignoring the Old Testament is that Yahshua was under the Old Testament and that because he lived according to the Law of Moses, ( a misnomer by the way it is and always will be the law of God ) and died for our sins we are now free from obeying that law but now follow the Law of Messiah Yahshua instead.

I'm here to tell you nominal "Christians" that its the same law and just as this verse says if you say you have no sin when you break the Fourth Commandment, The Holy days, Keep pagan customs to honor God that he strictly forbid in Deut. 12

shove things that God calls an abomination in your mouth and call it food, accept homosexual just as they are, in otherwords wink at the sin, into the assembly and even make them ministers, etc etc etc they you are a liar and the truth is not in you and you will not be in the Kingdom of God.

And while your praying to your saints (they are dead and in the grave by the way so your wasting your breath but thats yet another error I'm not trying to cover in this answer) tell them to get a hold of Paul and tell him he was totally wrong.

Ro 2:13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified.

Ro 2:20 a corrector of the foolish, a teacher of the immature, having in the Law the embodiment of knowledge and of the truth,

Ro 2:26-27 So if the uncircumcised man keeps the requirements of the Law, will not his uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision ?

And he who is physically uncircumcised, if he keeps the Law, will he not judge you who though having the letter of the Law and circumcision are a transgressor of the Law ?

Ro 3:31 Do we then nullify the Law through faith ? May it never be! On the contrary, we establish the Law.

Ro 7:7-9What shall we say then ? Is the Law sin ? May it never be! On the contrary, I would not have come to know sin except through the Law; for I would not have known about coveting if the Law had not said, "YOU SHALL NOT COVET."

But sin, taking opportunity through the commandment, produced in me coveting of every kind; for apart from the Law sin is dead.

I was once alive apart from the Law; but when the commandment came, sin became alive and I died;

Ro 7:12 So then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.

Ro 7:14 For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin.

Ro 7:16 But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good.

Ro 7:22 For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man,

Ro 7:25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord ! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.

And finally quite frankly open up your bible... I know its a novel concept for the nominal Christian... but open it up turn to Romans 6. Stop pray earnestly for the Holy Spirit to guide you into all truth just as Yahshua said it will, Read Romans 6, pray again, Read Romans 6, pray again, Read Romans 6, pray, Here is where it gets difficult Read Romans 1-12, pray, read Romans 1-12, pray, Read Romand 1-12, pray, Read Romans 1-12 and use a good study bible to do so and look up every single referance to the Old Testiment (be prepared for a lot of reading since a good amount is from the Old testiment) Don't just read the scripture it qoutes but the context and setting in which the scripture is given, I know by know you brain is melting this is more bible than you've read in all your years as being a "Christian" then repeat this as often as neccisary but at least three times.

If you still want to come on this forum and honestly tell me that the law is done away and we can ignore the commandments of God as long as we are keeping the "commandments of Yahshua" whatever those are (they are the same is what I'm telling you) then we will accept that you are not truly saved because you definatly do not have the Holy Spirit but instead have a decieving spirit sent by God to those who are vessels fit for destruction because they do not want to receive the truth.

Repent! Actually read your bible without just looking up your talking points! The Kingdom of God is at hand!

No true believer should have a problem with this verse, as the

Commandments given were the same ones Our Father gave

in Ex 20 & reiterated by Moses in Deut 6. In Matt 22: 40

Y'shua said to the Torah teacher in response to his answer,

of the greatest commands, on these 2 commandments HANG

all the Torah & the Prophets. The 1st command is the Shema

in Deut 6:4-5 Hear O Israel, YHWH Eloheinu, YHWH Echad, &

you shall love YHWH with all your heart & soul & with all your

might. This is the greatest commandment in the Torah & the

2nd is like it, You shall love your neighbour as yourself.

On these 2 big commamdments HANG all the rest of the Torah& Prophets, they do not replace the laws they are the very foundation of those laws.

One other thing I would like to mention, Y'shua told us to pray

to the Father, one of the answers mentioned praying to Y'shua

I think this is an error. I feel if we pray to Him, instead of the Father as He instructed, this is against Torah as we are to

pray to YHWH alone. 1st Commandment.

• Bob d

Cowboy it's like this. knowing that G-D the Father and Jesus are in complete agreement when Jesus say's my commandments their the same ones written in Exodus 20. so it should turn everyone from keeping Sunday the pagan Catholic day of worship to the Holy Sabbath...

• cheir

You cannot begin to keep the commandments without the help of the indwelling Holy Spirit.

If you continue to flout the commandments then it's unlikely you have the Holy Spirit or are a Christian.

• Shalom,

No it should not conflict if as a Believer you are following the commands Yeshua gave us, and also following His disciples who instructed us on how to live as followers of Yeshua. The real problem comes between being jewish and non jewish. The non jews were taught they did not have to become jewish to accept Yeshua, however a jew who accepts Yeshua is is still a jew and as a jew they would follow the way Yeshua and his followers acted as jews. If we also read verses 3,5,6 you can see the whole picture and you find your answer in verse 6

Sorry i fail to see how this scripture would conflict with a persons faith , who tries to follow the bibles teachings.

It may however conflict with those who give lip service to the God of the bible but in reality don't practice what they preach.

No, but according to this verse people who have no truth and are liers, out number the truth keepers, 99.9 to .1

1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

By the way , is grumpy affraid that the bible will burn his eyes and fingers if he touchs one.

• Mr. E

Not at all. Jesus said, "If you love me, keep my commandments."

1 John 2:4 (NIV)

The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

No not at all, a Christian would obey God's commandments through their trust in Him.

• Karl P

Why would it conflict with my beliefs? I agree with Him. (I also ask The Lord Jesus to cleanse me and to forgive me for anything that I can remember on that day that might have been against Him). I pray daily to Him. <')))><