Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

Can I reenter the United States after I have left the country.?

A very wealthy woman lives overseas and has been advised to renounce her U.S. citizenship in order to save on income and estate taxes. Several years after expatriation, the country where the woman resides undergoes a revolution and she wishes to return to the United States as a citizen. Can she do this and what does she need to do to do this?

5 Answers

  • Fred S
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Former citizens who renounce citizenship to avoid taxation.-Any alien who is a former citizen of the United States who officially renounces United States citizenship and who is determined by the Attorney General to have renounced United States citizenship for the purpose of avoiding taxation by the United States is excludable.

    If she formally renounced her U.S. citizenship, she's an alien. As an alien, she would need a visa to live in the U.S. As an alien who is inadmissible, she would need a waiver of the grounds of inadmissibility to get that visa. I do not believe that there is a waiver for an immigrant inadmissible under section 212(a)(10(E).

    Source(s): INA 212(a)(10)(E)
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    If That person has enough money to invest in the United States she can always get resident status. Also, If the country she went to live at has dual citizenship law she never lost her citizenship in the US. The best thing to do is call the nearest US embassy for an interview.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    She needs a waiver and will probably have to pay all back taxes with interest and penalties. Uncle sam wants her money.

  • 1 decade ago

    agree with Fred.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    tell her not too wear her high heels, she wont be able too jump the fence...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.