Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why would I want God's acceptance if God doesn't accept gay people?

Well... What is God's purpose, that is?

I mean the whole "if god accepts gay people" debate is completely arguable, and it happens ALL the time in the LGBT section like you wouldn't believe. (Not really sure about R&S since I don't hang here that often.)

1. How would one know if God actually has a/no problem with gay people?

2. If he did have a problem with Gay people, why would I want to believe in him?

...which leads back to the question: What is God's purpose? To mold me, to make me who I am? To guide me? Or to change me to be something else?

@karim q: How on earth do you correlate sadists, masochists, and pedophiles to gays?

How about you focus on what I'm talking about. I'm not a pedophile and I'm not into S&M so what is your point?

@drom57: I was raised by 2 heterosexuals and knew no gay people growing up (still a teenager-- still growing up). Nothing "bad" happened to make me gay, I was raised by 2 loving parents, and I'm ashamed that you think they're neglecting because I'm gay.

...You can't help the gene pool.

Favorite Answer

To me, this all draws back to a larger issue: either there is no God, and things like murder, pain, and suffering are allowed to happen, or there is a God, and he allows and accepts such things, in which case, I wouldn't want to accept Him.

If you have the power to make a difference in this world, are you not cheating those around you by choosing to do nothing? If so, then that brings me to my next point: presuming that God is, in fact, "real," He has greater power than any other being. And yet, he does nothing.

Many say that mankind is making its own choices, thanks to God's "loving" gift of freedom of choice, but really, did I choose to live in this world? No.

I wasn't asked. No one gave me a choice. If they had, I think I probably would've said no.

And yet, I'm here. I'm forced to suffer in the Hell that mankind has, according to religion, created for itself, that could've been fixed had they considered God's word, and there's nothing I can do about it. Suicide sends one to Hell, does it not? Then I guess I'm out of options.

So, if I didn't choose this, why should I be forced to deal with it? Someone could walk into this room as I'm typing this, and put a bullet through my head. Did I deserve that? Did *I,* personally, make any decisions that led to this state of the world? No.

In my opinion, that means that God should've stepped in, and put a stop to it.

And yet, it is clear that God does nothing, if he exists, and in the future, that most likely won't change.

To me, that shows that God Is Not Great, in the words of one author.

Your question could be mimicked in several forms: Why would I accept God if God doesn't accept gay people? Why would I accept God if God accepts suffering? Why would I accept God if God accepts murder? And so on..

Ehh. Sorry for the rant. To answer your specific questions:

That's just it. It's impossible to know. We have the Bible, and yes, that speaks against homosexuality. But really, can we prove that the Bible is the word of God? No. In fact, if there were a God, I would find it highly unlikely that He was exactly as portrayed in the Bible. There are just too many contradictions -- over the course of time, logical stories were probably morphed by word of mouth into amazing miracles of which the Bible and other religious texts tell. So, when it all comes down to it, no one really knows, and personally, I don't accept the Bible as a source of good reputation.

2. If He did have a problem with gay people, why would I want to believe in him?

That's my point in what I said above. Personally, I wouldn't. I'm an atheist, therefore my views are of course rather biased, but if there were a God of such homophobic tendencies, I wouldn't accept him. It doesn't matter if I'm not gay, because there ARE gay people, all around us. In fact, I could've been born gay. As far as I'm concerned, people are born gay, if they in fact are, and it's just a matter of chance.

3) What is God's purpose?

I think that, if God is in fact real, he would have no purpose that could be pinpointed by those here on Earth. Something so great would have more a purpose than molding a person. He / she / it / both / neither would mold *life.*

Source(s): Atheist, but I tried, anyway.
  • marrin

It needless to say states in the previous and new testomony that homosexuality is a sin. whether, that's the act no longer the assumption. i do no longer trust hateful words against homosexuals, yet i do no longer help "rights" as though they seem to be a separate race. you will desire to possibly examine the Bible a touch extra and understand that when sin became into presented into the international issues like this have been additionally presented. we are a made of our very own sinful nature. Edit that is thrilling which you accuse somebody else of identifying on from the Bible what they choose to have self assurance. which you will assert Romans is beside the point because of the fact neither Jesus or God wrote that's asking the whole Bible different than Jesus's words beside the point. As to why Christians blend fabric, the regulations spoke approximately in the previous testomony have been to split God's people from others. Jesus got here and that's now beside the point what we positioned on or consume. The 7 woes describe this transition. Washing the exterior of a cup to make the interior sparkling, white-washed tombs, bypass examine them in case you may desire to.

1. The Bible can tell you what God thinks of homosexual acts: 1 Cor. 6:9, Romans 1:26-27, Genesis 1:28, etc.

2. God doesn't have a problem with gay people. He has a problem with gay sex. All people struggle with sinful desires. The fact that homosexuals call their desires natural is a problem for God.

And finally, God's purpose is to be God. He is perfect and loving, and if you truly seek Him, He will make Himself known to you in new and powerful ways. God can change you from the inside out, if you let Him. But if you simply say that what you are is fine, there's not much God can do with that.

Source(s): Christian Youth Pastor ><>

BECAUSE, because... hmmm. Because it is God's Word and God said so and the Bible is just always right because God wrote the Bible?

He-eeeyyyy, there is no reason! Woo hoo!

1. If there is a God you'll never know, and if there isn't you'll never know. Sames goes for his 'purpose'. As the "Pascal's Wager" Christians claim above me, he/she/it has no purpose except to send you to heaven or hell, which is utterly ridiculous.

2. Exactly. I cannot imagine calling something that calls its own 'creations' abominations "god-like".

I would hope your god would guide you but the fact that people actually mold god into their own image based on their own likes & dislikes kind of negates the whole idea of god existing. What kind of god could have such human attributes?

God is a leader right? So its natural that he have followers which are we who depend on him to make the big decisions. By doing and saying that we follow Jesus gives us his love. As far as being straight or Gay, Jesus once said that some people are made who are not made for marriage but he wasn't saying this against anyone, unlike the Jew of his time who found sin in even talking to foreigners.

In my opinion, nobody can know what God's purposes are or even if he has any. Whether you believe he exists or not has nothing to be with being gay. Either he exists or he doesn't. I don't think we can intellectually know much about God beyond reasonable deductions about what he is not. To me, it seems obvious that God would not be limited by human ideas of morality. I don't think he cares a whit about our sexual behavior. And I don't think that he judges us anyway. I believe that God is the intelligence and life power of the universe, the source of unconditional love and acceptance. I believe that we experience him directly and we can access his power, wisdom and love whenever we need it. He is part of us and we are part of him and each other. Gay people are as much a part of all this as anyone else. Peace.

Question 1. The bible strictly condemns homosexuality and since it's the word of GOD, well nuff said.

Question 2. Well the creator of all life kinda knows whats best for his creation, and thus makes the guidelines and principles by which we live. But you do have free will so the choice is up to you.

Hey I wouldn't blame God for what men say.

After all men are all sinners in some small way at least, lust and so on.

And if you are referring to the mention of Peter in the Bible, well Peter was a man of the clothe and should have been cellabet to begin with so yes his lust for anyone would be a sin.

Reading the responses from the fundies, I once again find myself disturbed and abhorred all over again. So blunt, so full of hate, and so thoughtless. And so loveless, too.

What's the point of Heaven if people like that will be there? How do they envision Heaven? What makes people like that happy?

Could they even be happy if they were told by God there IS no Hell? I bet they would be disappointed.

Why are people gay?

In creating the world, God is guided by the principle of plenitude, considering it better to produce all possible forms of beings each contributing to a wonderful harmony and beauty of the creation than to produce only a society of blessed angels. That would be pretty ho hum.

The most supported theory is that homosexuality is caused during the first trimester of pregnancy when an imbalance of hormones alters the development of the brain. Most likely, that means it is actually the result of your mother's biochemistry rather than a gene present in your own DNA. That's why most people believe that people are born gay but why so few believe in a gay gene.

We are born on a continuum between homosexuality and heterosexuality. No on is totally homosexual or totally heterosexual. Many of us are born on the side of heterosexuality and some on the other end and some toward the middle. The folks in the middle are considered bi-sexual. Many in the sciences believe that more people are born bi sexual than heterosexual. Most of those then move toward heterosexuality because of environment and successful relationships.

I would offer also that in primitive times bi-sexual and homosexual persons played an important role in keeping a clan or tribe together during times when one or the other sex was diminished due to war or disease or other reasons. Those persons could do the labor of the needed sex as well as provide sexuality in place of the diminished sex as it were.