Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

What does it mean to say "for crying out loud"?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's like saying "For God's sake!" or "For Christ's sake!" - it's just a little politer, I suppose. It's an expression of anger, frustration, or disgust, depending on the situation.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

For Crying Out Loud

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

To say "for crying out loud" is meant to a statement one makes to express frustration. Like if something bad happens someone might say "for crying out loud" because they can't believe it happened.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's a "minced oath," said when someone doesn't want to be explicit. In this case, it's a minced "For Christ's sake." It expresses frustration.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Boy, I haven't heard that expression for a long time! It sure does bring back memories!!! I take it as "why did you do that!"

• 1 decade ago

It really doesn't mean anything in and of itself. It's just a phrase people use when they are frustrated. It can't be translated literally.

• 1 decade ago

it's just a saying like "For Gods' Sake" or something it just means are you really doing something THAT stupid, just give me a break already

• 6 years ago

for crying out loud means when someone is very frustrated.

Source(s): my summer school teacher used to say it alot when she was frustrated with us
  • 1 decade ago

It is an expression of frustration, when you are very annoyed with something or somebody! If the person really gave vent to his feelings, the result might be bad language!

• 1 decade ago

Means the same thing as For Goodness Sakes!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.