Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

What does it mean to say "for crying out loud"?

Favorite Answer

It's like saying "For God's sake!" or "For Christ's sake!" - it's just a little politer, I suppose. It's an expression of anger, frustration, or disgust, depending on the situation.

For Crying Out Loud

To say "for crying out loud" is meant to a statement one makes to express frustration. Like if something bad happens someone might say "for crying out loud" because they can't believe it happened.

It's a "minced oath," said when someone doesn't want to be explicit. In this case, it's a minced "For Christ's sake." It expresses frustration.

Boy, I haven't heard that expression for a long time! It sure does bring back memories!!! I take it as "why did you do that!"

It really doesn't mean anything in and of itself. It's just a phrase people use when they are frustrated. It can't be translated literally.

it's just a saying like "For Gods' Sake" or something it just means are you really doing something THAT stupid, just give me a break already

for crying out loud means when someone is very frustrated.

Source(s): my summer school teacher used to say it alot when she was frustrated with us

It is an expression of frustration, when you are very annoyed with something or somebody! If the person really gave vent to his feelings, the result might be bad language!

Means the same thing as For Goodness Sakes!