Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

are c-section delivery better?

im really small & know that if i would like to have a c-section delivery i could get it but i was wondering if you thought it was better than natural birth?like the pain, recovery, risks...my boyfriend thinks i have more of a risk with the baby if i do it naturally because of me being so tiny..what do you think?

Favorite Answer

NOT TRUE!

C-sections are an example of the over-medicalization of pregnancy! (They want you to think that it's the best thing to do, often when it isn't, because the doctors won't have to stick around for 30 hours waiting for you to pop one out.. when it could take them less than an hour to go in there, **** up your intestines, and pull out a baby.) All surgeries come with risk. Having a C-section also inhibits your ability to properly produce breast milk without the help of artificial hormones (which, face it, humans are too complex to be constantly messing around with hormones that we don't fully understand yet). It is also a really big problem for mother-child bonding, because mom is going to be pretty damn disoriented from the surgery.

Also, all surgeries come with risk of infection (which is surprisingly large and it makes it harder for you to recover). And PS.... doesn't matter how little you are. You are a woman, with a pelvis designed to have a baby. The biggest factor determining whether or not you are able to have a baby naturally is the size of your pelvic inlet (which can be extremely small in a large person, or extremely large in a small person! It's all about human variation). Your hip size is not representative of the size of your pelvic inlet.

My advice... Don't listen to the docs about C-sections until you think there is a problem. Also beware that they will try to convince you to not do it the natural way (as the artificial way gets them more money and less time spent with you during your birth).

• Andrea

Small women have natural births all the time. Don't think that just becuase you are a small person you cannot have a natural birth. Its the size of your baby and your pelvis opening that matter and your doc can check all of that. Natural is the best thing for you. Better recovery and less risk than from a MAJOR surgery. Don't elect surgery, take it only if that is your only way. My friend is very tiny, shorter than 5 feet and around 100 lbs...she has had 3 natural births. I see it all the time, and I also have a friend that elected a c-section because she thought she was small (this is what she told her doc, she told me that she was just scared of labor). She had a LONG recovery, while I had my son on a Friday felt back to normal that next Monday. good luck with whatever you choose, but take the surgery if that is the only way to have a healthy baby (of course that is what is important right?)

• FLmom3

I have had 3 c-sections and I know from experience and from all the research I did on the topic that I would rather have a regular delivery ANY day. A c-section is a MAJOR surgery requiring approx. 3 days of recovery in the hospital, followed by several weeks at home. There are many serious complications that can occur, including death. I would not chose to have a c-section because you think you are so tiny. It is best to try to deliver naturally and then if there are any issues, let the OB decide if you need a c-section. Please educate yourself on the topic as well as your boyfriend. You can find a wealth of info on webmd.com as well as just Googling c-section.

I think natural childbirth is far preferable to a c-section.

I have had 5 normal deliveries and one section and swear had I had the section with my first child I would never have had any more children.

The recovery for a section is much harder than a natural delivery, which is something you really should bear in mind.

i have had 3 c-sections, will be 4 this summer, and the recovery time is longer than a vaginal birth. they are not comfortable to have. it hurts, but its not anything you dont get over. i wish like crazy that i could have a natural delivery. just to have that option would be great, but i dont. anyway, i have been told cesareans are harder then natural, but i have nothing to compare it to. good luck to you and your question, i hope my rambling helped a little. God bless

Source(s): mom of 3.... 11 weeks 6 days pregnant with #4

A c-section is major abdominal surgery and your recovery time is a lot longer. If your doctor thinks you pelvis is big enough to delivery vaginally I would do that. It amazes me how many people decide to just have a c-section.

Source(s): Works in L&D

If your tiny then c-section is the better option, less stress for the baby during delivery, the recovery period takes longer of course as this is considered MAJOR surgery, you have no pain from the contractions, and theres always risks with any surgery but with c-sections your awake for it

Source(s): RN L&D

I had c-section with my first and hated it, i was in pain for ages afterwards unless dosed up with painkillers, couldnt get up properlly, see to my son, an my internal organs finding their position again i thought was internal bleeding!! Normal birth, up in bath straight after, walking and moving straight away. If you need a c-section then you will have to, but natural is best in the end.

• if you can go natural.. go natural..the labor and delivery wasnt as bad as some people put out..and if you go the c section way.. its major surgery even if its common or not..it takes time to heal..some people cant hold their babies right after for a while..we are women..our bodies are made to push out big babies..i was small before pregnany 5 foot 105-110 lbs..and i pushed out a 8 lbs 4 oz baby boy..

I've had 3 c-sections, and it really tore me up. Really, it's a scary experience and the recovery is awfull. But, if it's neccasary, your saftey and the baby's safety is more important.