What Would Be The Impact of Repealing The Seventeenth Amendment?

Is the 17th Amendment "unConstitutional"?

Repeal The 17th Amendment

Posted December 19th, 2007 by SeanW

ANOTHER reason to vote for Ron Paul. And, if you understand it, a good argument to provide your friends.

Originally all Senators were elected by each State's elected officials. United States Senators were accountable to the State Governments that elected them and sent them to Washington to represent them. But the 17th Amendment changed that. Now, as we know, Senators are elected by popular vote. They no longer must answer to their own state government. And they have FAR too much power because of it.

Dr Paul, along with a few others such as Zell Miller, Alan Keyes, Harry Brown, Lew Rockwell and Neil Boortz, have advocated the repeal of the 17th Amendment for a long time.

Zell Miller introduced a constitutional amendment, just after announcing his retirement, to repeal the 17th Amendment, saying, "it gives too much power to Washington's special interests and it's an attack on federalism."

For or against?

Mike- Thank you for your service to our great Country!

I agree that money and power are a problem if every Government... But, America is still the greatest Country in the world.

Semper Fi!

Favorite Answer

I live in Illinois.

our state government is actually WORSE than the US Senate is.

and as much as I despise "Turban" Durbin and Barack "Senator in Absentia" Obama, we'd probably have WORSE people in office if Blago and Daley were directly involved in picking our Sen.

*shudder*

You're assuming, of course, that the state government in each case has the best interest of ITS people. State governments, like the Fed, are also controlled by the special interest groups. Do you REALLY believe that a Democratic governor would appoint a Republican to the Senate if they were the best person for the job, or vice versa? Or if a state legislature was anti-gun control, would they send a pro-gun control senator to Washington? Repealing the 17th Amendment only serves to take the people one step further away from their representation; it doesn't fix special interest issues.

And if you're making this argument, why are you not making it for the House of Representatives as well? The two houses of Congress have the eventual same power, just one has more influence based on the population than the other.

I also take most of what Ron Paul says with a grain of salt. America doesn't need to build the walls higher any more than they already are.

• Mike M

Sadly it is now all BS. I served in Nam as a lowly Marine to protect my country. Now politics is money and money is politics. I dont understand why the voters of this great country can be so stupid!!

Hill loans her own campaign 5mil. If I had that kind of money you would have to swim to catch my boat or be a caddy to find me!!

I get the feeling we'd be doing your homework assignment for you by answering this.

If it were repealed, then state governments might choose to appoint senators at their discretion rather than holding elections.

I share your sentiments, Marines...even tho Im in the Army and 20 years old...I too wish more ppl could see that...what are us hardcore individuals gonna do when they start pulling Fascist ****...?

I wasnt addressing you Mike, I can read.

Does not matter its all BS Only rites we have r obey or go to jail.