cutie09 asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

medieval long swords?urgetnt?

can anyone please give me any info the medieval long swords it is urgent n please try to site it if possible.

Update:

well urgent becasse of my project due on them in sabout an hour. thanks for the help.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Longswords were two-edged swords used for delivering devestating cuts, slices and thrusts.

They generally used two-handed however they could be used one-handed aswell.

With lengths over four-foot (3 foot Blades with 1 foot hilts) a fighter's reach was greatly improved.

The light bladed weapons (some Longsword weighed less than 1kg (2lbs)) were extremely fast and agile.

Unfortunatley due to some unragous claims by some musuem "experst" and "historians" the world was led to believe that these beautiful swords were heavy and cumbersome, which could not possibly be further from the truth.

Perhaps one of the best features of the Longsword was the fact that (like many European Swords) it was dual-edged, this allowed the weilder to cut in 16 directions as opposed to a single-edged sword that can only cut in 8. Furthermore the Longsword was designed to deliver lighting fast thrusts that could peirce thru weak-spots in armor.

I hope this helps.

God Bless!

Source(s): www.thearma.org is one of the BEST sources you will EVER find on European Swords.
  • 5 years ago

For Finding all types of medieval swords you can search on wiki or try museum replica.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They're not as sharp as the Japanese ones, but they're heavier. So while they're not as good for cutting, they pack a lot more concussion power.

How could this possibly be urgent? What situation are you in right now?

• 1 decade ago

What do you want to know about them? Composition and construction? Use? Types?

For general information, Wikipedia is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longsword

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.