is it true that every animal has a similar number of heart beats in its lifetime?

i mean a doormouse has a very fast heart rate but doesnt live for very long and a giant tourtouse has a slow heart rate and lives for over a hundred years. if we slowed our heart rate down would we live for longer?

i've probably put this in the wrong catergory but you are all very clever here in physics so you might know..many thanks..

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Like any rule of thumb, it's not spot on, but it's a good guide. The mayfly has the same sort of number of heartbeats in its very short life as a giant tortoise has in its 200 years.

Various creatures have probably evolved that way. The faster your heart beats, the more efficient it is, but the sooner it wears out. So having a heart rate that will keep you going for your expected life span is a useful characteristic to pass on. However, slowing down your heart rate isn't going to turn you into a tortoise.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Oddly enough, the answer is yes. Although if I remember correctly, domestic animals (including humans) get about twice the number of beats.

• 1 decade ago

Yes - as a general rule. Not a fixed rule.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.