What is the best yarn for knitting a scarf for a guy?

I'm trying to knit my boyfriend a scarf and I have close to no experience with knitting. I am getting help in knitting a scarf, but I want to pick out the proper type of yarn.

The most important thing is warmth and from there is softness. I hope someone could make a recommendation to brand and type. I am going to be shopping at Michaels so if you can make recommendations that are available at Michaels, it'll be great.

Thank you SO much.

Favorite Answer

100 % Wool and alpaca are definitely very warm and you can find them in a variety of colors at a local yarn store. But be aware that animal proteins like 100% wool will usually felt when washed in the washing machine or agitated too much in hand washing. Guys like my hubby don't think of throwing a scarf in the washer. If you decide to use wool or alpaca, look for a superwash like Cascade's Yarns. They've been treated with a chemical that prevents felting.

If you hitting the craft stores, Lion Brand is okay for the price. Their Wool-Ease line knit up well and are pretty soft. They won't felt b/c they are not 100% wool. They have acrylic in them for ease of washing.

My fave is alpaca but go grope the yarns for softness.

Good luck. I'm sure your boyfriend will appreciate your gift.

Best Yarn For Knitting

Okay, while I am not a knitter, i do crochet and have a few favorite! Since michaels is a fairly large carft sotre, I would think they would have these....Lion Brand Wool Ease or Patton brand wool. They are both soft and both work up well. Not like the cheap stuff with a lot of nots or with a lot of splices. I have used both and am a fan of both.

Now for color, I would choose earth tones. How about a gray or a chestnut? Nav blue or forest green? If I remember correctly, Pattons has some nice grays, blues and camels. With a mans scarf, since most of them do not color coordinate well, neutrals usually work best and earthtones would fall into that category. What color is is heavy winter coat? What color is his favorite coat? Does he have a dress coat that he wears? If you could come up with a color that would either blend or contrast nicely, that would be the color to use. Oh, Pattons has a nice charcoal as well.

Wool Ease comes in both the standard weight which is called worsted as well as the chunky weight. The thicker one is called Wool Ease Chunky and Wool Ease Thick and Quick!

Hope this helps! i asked my girlfriend from work about a pattern and she suggests you knit a ribbed scarf with a knit two and pearl two.

Since you are a beginner, look for an interactive CD called "Knitting Made EAsy" while you are at Michaels. I usually go to Joanns myself and it is $6.99 for one. It is put out by Red Heart yarn which is made by Coats and Clark.

Joanns has a coupon you can get online for 40% off which would come in handy for you.

Good luck with your project and I am sure you will hear from all of the knitters soon! If you have any questions, do not hesitate to post them. Enjoy!

• Leah

With all the great yarns out there now you don't need any fancy pattern, plain garter stitch, seed stitch, or moss stitch can look fantastic. A yarn like Lion Brand's Homespun is great for guys, it's not glitzy, hairy, or girly but is still soft and has texture. If you want to go with a solid then Lion Brand's Wool Blend has a great assortment. (I really don't have any connection to them other than I have loved their yarns for decades). You don't give a clue as to if he's in school or into sports but if either applies then you have a good clue to colors he might like if you choose to go with solid colors rather than mottled like Homespun. Knit 6-12 inches of one color, switch to the other color, then back to the first for the last 6-12 inches.

I would skip the Lion Brand Homespun as it can be a challenge for a new knitter.

I agree with Patons or Lion Brand wools or wool blends.

The Lion Wool Ease is a wool blend that is washable, easy to knit, quick because it is a bulky yarn, and very soft. Also comes mostly in more neutral colors.

Selecting colors for men is hard because sometimes they end up liking colors they don't know they are "allowed" to like, like lighter greens and blues, even purples.

Matching the more neutral color of a favorite sports team or band logo is a good bet, and black is always classy for either gender.

• Irish

I'd have to recommend a Lionhart yarn called Homespun. It's a "quick knitting" yarn with a soft nubby texture. Very masculine I think in the dark blues, browns, or black mix.

You can find tons of free patterns for scarves at the Lionbrand web site: http://www.lionbrandyarn.com/

and some of them are specific to the Homespun yarn.

You only need to sign up with an email address to access the free patterns. I had no issues giving them my email.

Here's a sample of some of the patterns:

http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/patternFinder.fcg...

There are also free knitting or crochet instructions inside the wrappers around the yarn, but which you get is random.

Lionbrand is a major national brand of yarn and should be available at any of your local craft shops or Joanne's, Michael's and AC Moore.

For a yarn on the cheap at Michael's, try the Lion Brand WoolEase - the wool portion offers warmth, but the acrylic blend means it is machine washable - a MUST for most guys.

Since my boyfriend PROMISED me he would not machine wash it (translation - *I* will be the one hand-washing it), I knitted a 50 wool / 50 alpaca blend for him in December. He LOVES it. I found the yarn at a specialty yarn store (Commuknitty in San Jose) in charcoal grey, navy blue, and denim blue. The wool is very warm and the alpaca gives it a plush softness.

Good luck!

I'm a crocheter, but I like the Lion Brand or Red Heart yarns. They're soft without being "girlie" and come in a wide variety of colors (hope I don't sound like an ad rep!)

For masculine colors, I like deep colors, like Navy, Soft Navy, Windsor Blue, Black, Burgundy,Olive Green, Brown, Tan, Cream, Ecru, or multi colored yarns.

Good luck! I made a scarf for my boyfriend, with a thin stripe of black and the rest was a deep purple (his favorite color).

A mid-weight alpaca blend in a dark, masculine color.

Oh, shoot ... Michaels isn't the best but I think they have something with alpaca. If not, just Paton's Classic Merino wool for warmth. I would steer clear of acrylic, but that's just me.

If you knit it up in a rib or cable, it will pull in a bit and the bulk will create extra warmth. Just a knit 2, purl 2 rib would work wonders!

Happy Knitting!

I would go with Red heart yarn and pick dark colors or the colors of his favorite sports team.

dont use a yarn that is fuzzy, or too fancy like novility yarns. no lace patterns or anything that makes it look too busy.