Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

what was the real reason for the mitchell report in baseball?

I've been hearing about it for about a month now and it puzzles me. Why was the mitchell report written in the first place? was it just written out of sheer curiousity or was their a legitimate reason for it being published? i'm not big into baseball but this report has really caused some controversy and i am just wondering why was it written if it was going to cause this much controversy?

Favorite Answer

Mitchell was asked to investigate the issue by Bud Selig and it was paid for by MLB. The report was never intended to be a tool to indict players but rather a guide to the range and depth of the problem so MLB could take action to rid the game of drugs.

The intent was not to implicate players. It was intended to show how big the problem with steroids and HGH was in baseball the last 10-15 years. Thats what they said. I think that nothing positive came out of the report. It only implicated the ones we knew already did it and a few we didn't. But by implicating those we didn't suspect, like clemens, baseball only made the problem greater. I think the real reason for the report was that Selig new the problem was huge and felt he needed to demonstrate to the public and fans that he was trying to clean it up. I think he is trying but I don't believe that the mitchell report contributed much to fixing the problem

The mitchell report was to point out major league baseball players who have eith taken HGH (human growth hormone) and Steroids and since both of those substances are not allowed in baseball it was just a legitimate reason it was written

First Bud Selig asked George Mitchell to file a report on all the players that took steriods and HGH all through out the years of major league baseball to find out who did it and who didn't so major league baseball can forget about the steriods era and move on into the future

To me it was a waste of time. I realize that there has been a steroid problem for many years but the report came up with 86 players & most of them I don't recall what team they played for or even heard of their names. Only a handful of star players were on list but to me there should have been plenty more. I still say there are big name players who are juiced or have been juiced & they don't just play for the Yankees because so many Yankee haters point out the fact the Yankees with Clemens & Pettite were caught. Steroids is a baseball issue not a Yankee issue. If baseball were to get rid of all players who have tried steroids, I bet most teams couldn't field a team of 25.

Be the definitive report on the era for HGH and Steroids clearing MLB in the eyes of the government because of their anti-trust exemption. Know it is just silly because players are having to answer to taking substances that were not banned at the time but illegal...therefore if they lie, they could go to jail...but in the eyes of baseball they can not be punished (except for being labeled cheaters)

• It was a reasonable attempt by the government and Major League Baseball to identify steroid users and try to stop sterioids in baseball - pointing out all the consequences and reasons not to do 'roids.

To see whos on steroids and start controversy

I hate that dumb report... Notice nobody from Boston has been nailed cuz the fool leading the investigation is from there. PAPI IS SOOO ON HGH

it was written to point out individuals and to show how widespread a problem it is in baseball