Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

Can't draw compound bow!?

I recently purchased a compound bow of 55-70 draw weight. It shipped at 70 so I took it to Gander Mountain and the archery guy said that he could only lower it to 61#s because 5 turns on the limb bolt is the max. Was this guy right and what can I do to let me pull more draw weight???

• jim w
    Favorite Answer

trust me on this one take it to a pro shop if you adjust it youreself you could wind up with a pulley in youre forehead or . was at a range once and seen a guy die from a improperly tuned bow it buried the pulley into his forehead and his sone was right beside him.. yes the guys is right but you should let a pro adjust it .....safety first

The fellow at Gander Mountain is probably right. But I have to ask about the let-off on the bow... At 61 lbs draw-weight, if the let-off is only 20% you will be holding a mere 48.8 lbs.

If your target draw-weight was between 55 lbs and 70 lbs, you should be able to draw this bow's string back to full draw, easily -- if you are actually capable of drawing 55 lbs, that is.

Myabe you need a different set of cams on that bow.

• randy

That may be. It should adjust down around 10 lbs or so, but sometimes a bow will not adjust all the way up or down as advertised. If your max draw was only 55, you never should have bought that bow, you would have been better off getting something around 45-60 lbs and slowly worked your way up.

Source(s): Retired Police Officer NRA certified police firearms instructor Trained at GLOCK, COLT and S&W armorers schools Ran a gun shop for many years Fired both rifle and handgun competitions And have been an avid hunter since age 9 with Archery, Black Powder, Shotgun, Handgun and Modern Rifle

Not a compound expert, but I'd suggest a few workout routines. Rowing, reverse butterfly, lateral arm raises, military press. These all will help strengthen your back and shoulder muscles. Pushups will help with the smaller stabilizing muscles in your shoulder and tricep. Always keep them in balance, it's very easy to overtrain your larger muscle groups and leave the smaller stabilizing muscles under developed. This is how injuries happen. Work out with weights 3 times a week and you'll get there. Always let your muscles rest and grow for a day between work out sessions.

To gain strength, do lower reps of high weight. Lift weights that you can do 6 reps before failure.

But really, there is no need for a 70# bow. Unless you're hunting elephants in Africa.

• JD

The Industry Standard for Compound Bows are plus or minus 10 lbs maximum.The person who told you this is absolutely correct....If you think about it any more adjustment would require changing arrows to a completely different spine/size.

Not to mention you can only back off the Limb Screws so far without creating a VERY dangerous situation..If you have ever seen a Compund come apart in someones hands you would never forget it! Trust me!!

Source(s): Gunsmith/Gun Shop Owner-Broker-Dealer Lifetime Hunter-Bowhunter 40 Years Hunting Experience

its possible although i find it hard to believe a 55# can only be adjusted to 61.

What brand of bow is it make and model?

If nothing else try a release aid if youre not already using one

Some bows are adjusted by changing the position of the string in the cams also. Maybe check with a different pro shop.

Source(s): 30+ Years Hunting experience Rifle/Bow/Muzzle Loader Life member NRA Certified NRA Turkey/Big Game Hunting Instructor Class III and CCW Permit Holder

first off, the guy is right. you can only turn them out so far because the bolt is only so long, work out a Little bit with weights to make ur arms stronger, you'll get it and be shooting just fine. my wife has done this and is now hunting with me

Source(s): self

Instead of pulling the string push the bow. Grab the string like you will before release and push the bow out. Lock your right arm and push with your left.

Stop being a girly man and get your butt in the gym.

I heard you can get some HGH form Rodger Clemens.

Mr. B

Solving the worlds varmint problems 50gr at a time.

The guy is right - need to strengthen the miscules