k asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

what language should I take?

i live in the us , california to be specific i only have spanish and french so what should i take cause my dad says that in any country people who speak french are considered smart and my cuz says that spanish is more useful in the us (CA)

so what should i pick and why

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

http://www.ddstats.com/kilmer/French%20I%20Reasons...

I would list all the things but go to this website it has:

* French is widely spoken on five continents and in many countries, as a native tongue, language of instruction, language of government, lingua franca of business.

* French is among the principal languages of diplomacy and of important international organizations.

* French is consistently among the two or three most important languages of the internet, because of the number of WWW pages up, vigorous efforts to create viable internet discussion lists and recent successes in connecting francophone countries in the southern hemisphere.

* Many people in Francophone countries are among the very enthusiastic promoters of the French language. French speakers worldwide enhance their sense of linguistic community through the organizations of "la francophonie", which now has its own secretary general.

* The language's characteristics of semantic reliability and clarity, vessel of the universals of contemporary material culture, strength in verbs, representation in Roman characters, are positive attributes. So is its association with the more widely appreciated features of French culture

Ahh, you need MORE reasons....ok, keep reading....

the following is thanks to Richard Shryock, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech), Dept. of Foreign Languages and Literatures, Blacksburg, VA 24061-0225

* French, along with English, is the official working language of:

o the United Nations

o UNESCO

o NATO

o Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)

o the International Labor Bureau

o the International Olympic Committee

o the 31-member Council of Europe

o the European Community

o the Universal Postal Union

o the International Red Cross

o Union of International Associations (UIA)

* French is the dominant working language at

o the European Court of Justice

o the European Tribunal of First Instance

o the European Court of Auditors in Luxembourg.

o the Press Room at the European Commission in Brussels, Belgium

* One example of the importance of French can be seen in a recent listing of international jobs (1/23/01) distributed by the US State Department:

o 92 required or preferred French,

o 21 a UN language (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, and Spanish)

o 38 Spanish

o 6 Russian

o 3 Arabic

o 4 German

o 2 other languages

* According to the fact sheet released by the UN Employment Information and Assistance Unit Bureau of International Organization Affairs U.S. Department of State, 9/16/99, of the various types of professional positions for which international organizations recruit:

o 5 required French

o 2 Spanish

o 1 Portuguese

o 1 Arabic

The Economics of French and France

French is the foreign language spoken by our largest trading partner (Canada).

* In 1994 the United States did business and trade with the following countries in order of importance:

o French-speaking countries

o Japan

o Spanish-speaking countries.

* The U.S. and France share many trade similarities, particularly their global

standing as the world's top 2 exporters in 3 very important sectors: defense

products, agricultural goods, and services.

* Franco-American trade is also remarkable for its symmetry, as 6 of the top 10 exports are the same each way.

* France has the fourth largest economy in the world after the U.S., Japan and Germany.

* France is the second largest exporter of agricultural products in the world after the U.S.

* In recent years, the U.S. has been the largest direct investor in France and France has been one of the three largest investors in the U.S.

* French companies employ over 400,000 Americans.

* French is one of the languages spoken in the US: 1.9 million Americans speak French in the home. (1990 US Census)

* France is the third largest destination of foreign investments in the world.

* Overall, the French export more per capita than the Japanese and more than twice as much as the Americans. France is overall, the fourth largest exporting nation of the world.

* France is the world's leader in the production of luxury goods.

* More tourists visit France than any other country in the world.

* France has rated higher than the United States on the United Nation's Human Development Index (HDI) in two of the last three years (1997-99). Canada has been ranked higher in each of these years. The HDI measures the overall achievements in a country in life expectancy, educational attainment and adjusted income.

* France gives more foreign aid to developing nations than the US.

Science and Technology

* Seven of France's top ten exports to the U.S. are industrial or high technology products.

* France is the fourth largest producer of automobiles in the world (Renault,Peugeot, Citroën) and the third largest exporter. (All Mack trucks are manufactured by Renault.)

* France is fourth in research among countries of the Organization for Economic Development and Cooperation (after Japan, Germany, and the US).

* France is a major world research center in the field of high energy physics.

* The French are a world leader in medical research: the AIDS virus was first isolated by French doctors.

* The French are a leader in medical genetics (the Human Genome Project is located in Paris).

* The French are the world's third manufacturers of electronics equipment. European leader in aerospace (Aérospatiale, Arianespace, Airbus...).

* Most commercial satellites are put into space on French Ariane rockets.

The fastest train (TGV) is French.

* The fastest commercial airplane (Concorde) is French (built in collaboration with British Airways).

* France is the world's third military power (after the US and Russia), and has the world's second largest defense industry (i.e. exocet missiles, radar

technology.)

* France is the world's second largest builder and exporter of civilian and

military aircraft and helicopters (Airbus is the world's second largest fleet of commercial airliners, and many of the US Coast Guard helicopters are made by Aérospatiale in Toulouse.)

* France has one of the most advanced systems of telecommunications in the world.

* Fiber optics were invented in France.

* France is the world's largest manufacturer of television sets (HDTV was

invented in France).

THERE IS A LOT MORE!

FRENCH IS REALLY COOL!

• 1 decade ago

Well, let me tell you that when you know english and spanish, learning french is very simple. I speak both english and spanish and some french. So this is something to keep in mind.

On the other side, living in California (such an excellent and nice state...I really love your state) chances are you'll get to speak spanish more often than french.

Besides, on this side of the world, if you look south from when you live, a large size of that population speaks spanish (México, Central and South America).

You might want to learn french right now if you're planning to show off when you ask for an elegant wine such as cabernet sauvignon.

I'd choose spanish (and I'd consider that smart). French can wait a while, unless you win the lottery today and desperately plan to visit France!

Oh, and visiting Latin America is way cheaper!

ADIOS Y SUERTE.

AU REVOIR !

• 1 decade ago

Spanish

• Yes, true...in the US, California especially, you will be able to use Spanish frequently. French would be quite similar to Spanish, even though I'm not sure you would use it much in the US

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Take Spanish, it will be useful to be bilingual in future jobs - any field can always use someone who speaks Spanish. French is not very commonly needed in this country.

• hkyson
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Spanish is very useful in California because they are a lot of Spanish speakers here.

French is also good to know. There is a lot of interesting stuff written in French.

Harleigh Kyson Jr.

• 1 decade ago

ive always wanted to take french, but my dad says its useless...if you are planning on living here in the US forever then definitely take spanish, cause trust me there are going to be more hispanics coming in. i think if you are really interested in french then take it after you learn spanish. i myself am gonna move from here so i dont want to waste any time learning something i know i wont need. if you wanna be an entrepreneur then i would recommend big time. anyway im taking arabic right now, so i can move to the middle east and know what everyone is saying. take it easy, hope i helped.

• 1 decade ago

In Cali especially, i'd go with Spanish.

• rick
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Spanish, you'll actually get to use it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.