Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Who do you think is right Bernie Williams or Brian Cashman?

Cashman says Bernies game was suffering because of his interest in music. Bernie says nothing could be further from the truth and he is insulted. comments

• John H
    Favorite Answer

Bernie played music his entire career so I think he is right and Cashman is wrong. Bernie was definately given the shaft he should have been allowed to play as long as he wanted to and not be offered a chance to make the team in spring training. That is insulting for someone that brought what Bernie did to the Yankees clubhouse and something they are lacking since the departure of himself, Tino Martinez and Paul O'Neill. You can't tell me Bernie wouldn't be a great 4th outfielder and a better option at firstbase then trying Johnny Damon there last season.

I loved Bernie. That being said he was lagging bad. What power he had was gone, his legs were dead, and his arm was slipping quick. He was clutch and would have been great to have around but his best days were well over. If he could be happy as a .270 part time player getting maybe 200-250 AB's/yr I'd be suprised. For all of us it's hard to admit it's over when we love something. As for the music...Tough to say. I do know he was talking about it a lot, playing more concerts, working on his CD...Lot's going on there and I could see how it would be easy to draw that impression. I think it really came down to him seeing there was nowhere for him on the team and he retired rather than go somewhere else and for Cashman it was easier to say the music was a draw rather than saying his game wasn't up to par anymore.

I dont think that there is anyway that we could possibly know the answer to that. We are not in the locker room. We are not in Bernie's head. To guess, I would say that it is not true. I think that Bernie wore down.

• Not true not true. Many players that are amazing love music. Bernie shouldn't be insulted, but i hope Cashman was kidding, cause that if false.

Bernie deserved to be treated better than he's been treated by Cashman.

• Mike S

Sometimes the best thing to sey is nothing!! Its all about money though and what can you do for me now!!!! Bernie gaves us his soul and he wil be remember as one of the Yankee greats forever!

look what happened to tony romo when had something else to be interested in, its a distraction but since its something you like/love you dont think it is. But we are all human, we need to have something to take our mind off things, i think brain cashman is right, but shouldnt have said anything.

• Bernie had lost some tools...age and injuries.

THe wheels were gone, his ability had diminished but the music interest had nothing to do with it, his body just broke down.

Music had nothing to do with it. His problem is his lack of skills were finally coming. He isn't half of what he once was. No range, no bat, no speed.