Religion essay on Jerusalem as center for 3 religions?

Hi. I need to write an essay on the topic of Jerusalem being a center for Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. What should my focus be?

- Why Judaism considers it most important and has most influence than all (This way, I can dedicate a paragraph to each religion and it'd be so easy since all I have to do is talk about why they treat Jerusalem with significance in each.)

- Why is it that these 3 religions are linked to this city together. (This is kind of like the first one but it's more centered on the fact that all "three" refer to this city. This might be hard because I don't read the bible and don't know much about Abrahim and what happened.)

- A suggestion of your choice =) If you have something better please tell me about it. Thanks.!!

Favorite Answer

Lectio Divina means "Divine Reading" and refers specifically to a method of Scripture reading practiced by monastics since the beginning of the Church.

statio (position)

lectio (reading)

meditatio (meditation)

oratio (prayer)

contemplatio (contemplation)

collatio (discussion)

actio (action)

The classical practice of Lectio Divina--the prayerful reading of the Bible, the book Christians believe to be divinely inspired--is being rediscovered and renewed in our time. At the same time a number of ways of practicing it have sprung up leading to a certain confusion regarding its relationship to the distinct practice of Centering Prayer. A few distinctions may be helpful.

First of all, we need to distinguish Lectio Divina from Bible study, which is very useful at another time and provides a solid conceptual background for the practice of Lectio Divina.

Secondly, Lectio Divina is not the same as reading the scriptures for the purpose of private edification, encouragement, or getting acquainted with the many-sided aspects of revelation, and especially with Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Word of God. Lectio Divina is rather a way or formula for furthering these objectives.

Thirdly, Lectio Divina is not the same as spiritual reading, which moves beyond the exclusive reading of sacred scripture to include other spiritual books such as the lives and writings of the saints.

Finally, Lectio Divina is not the same as praying the scriptures in common, a contemporary development that is sometimes identified with Lectio Divina. The classical practice of Lectio Divina was done in private and consisted in following the movement of the Holy Spirit in regard to the time one might devote to each step of the process, as well as passing from one step to another during the same period of prayer. Following a particular structure, such as is required in all forms of common prayer, tends to limit spontaneity to the movement of the Holy Spirit, which is the heart of the practice.

LECTIO DIVINA is an ancient spiritual art that is being rediscovered in our day. It is a way of allowing the Scriptures to become again what God intended that they should be - a means of uniting us to God. In lectio divina we discover our own underlying spiritual rhythm. We experience God in a gentle oscillation back and forth between spiritual activity and receptivity, in the movement from practice into contemplation and back again into spiritual practice.

LECTIO DIVINA teaches us about the God who truly loves us. In lectio divina we dare to believe that our loving God continues to embrace us today. In the word we experience ourselves as personally loved by God; as the recipients of a Word which God gives uniquely to each of us whenever we turn to the Scriptures.

FINALLY, lectio divina teaches us about ourselves. In lectio divina we discover that there is no place in our hearts, no interior corner or closet that cannot be opened and offered to God. God teaches us in lectio divina what it means to be a royal priesthood - a people called to consecrate all of our memories, our hopes and our dreams to Christ.

These 3 religions all believe in God/Allah/YHVH and that Abraham was a great prophet. Jerusalem is the area where the Caananites lived (the promised land given to them from god (YHVH)). The Caananites were the ancestors of the Hebrews, also called Israelites and today Jews. There have been a few names for the believers in YHVH and their name changed due to where they lived. (Israelites--Israel).

There is a wall in Jerusalem (the Wailing Wall) that divides the Jews and the Muslims. It was part of a great temple for the Jews and after wars between the faiths, only part of one wall is still standing. The Jews are on the west side (I think) and the men go there to pray and remember their past and traditions. The Muslims are on the east side (I think) and have built a mosque over a stone altar that they believe is where Abraham had placed his son to sacrifice to YHVH. This is a holy place for them. Christians honor Jerusalem as holy land because Jesus, Son of God, walked on that land and taught His disciples there before His death.

Source(s): catholicasnwers.com askmoses.org newadvent.com

I would do the second. The crucifixion, the walling wall and the mosque (not real familiar with that one).

They all worship the god of Abraham, yet have some pretty diferent views of man (for example, Christianity belives we are all flawed, and [IIRC] Islam belives that we are close to perfection because we are made in god's image).

Just of the top of my head. Also, tons of cool historical stuff there.

• gg

I'd go with the first if I were you...but, Judaism has most influence because it's located in Israel, which is a Jewish state.

I will take B)

and figure out by yourself why there's an endless war in this area... (its all related)