WHY does a Judge send criminals to jail for LIFE when they MEAN 2,3,4,5,6 or even 7 YEARS?

Every Joe/Jane Public KNOWS that in the LEGAL and political system "LIFE" doesn't MEAN until the day you stop breathing and life is no longer... Surely when a person reaches a position of being a Judge in a Court of Law, he/she should MEAN EXACTLY WHAT THEY SAY....? If they DO NOT MEAN... show more Every Joe/Jane Public KNOWS that in the LEGAL and political system "LIFE" doesn't MEAN until the day you stop breathing and life is no longer...

Surely when a person reaches a position of being a Judge in a Court of Law, he/she should MEAN EXACTLY WHAT THEY SAY....?

If they DO NOT MEAN "LIFE" as in until the day a person stops breathing... WHY SAY THE WORDS WHEN SENDING A CRIMINAL to jail "for life"?... OR... maybe they have different words they use rather than the WORD "LIFE" and it's the media who keep getting it wrong....? (WHAT a radical concept is that...??)

Surely it can't be Government guidelines...?

I thought Judges were supposed to be totally independant from Politics... silly me !

Why do we allow Judges to sit on the Bench and dish these prison terms out when he says ONE thing but MEANS another... allegedly due to Govt guidelines or, dare I say it, govt pressure?

Why not cut out the middle man (aka The Judge) and stick a politician on the Bench...?
Update 2: Re davidmi711

Precisely my point... cut out the middleman - ie The Judge and stick a politician on the Bench to dish the "sentence" out !!