Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 decade ago

Walking After Surgery?

I was just thinking why is it so important to start walking soon after surgery, for example, a burst appendix? I've heard that doctors and nurses stress walking after surgery. Isn't the patient still in a lot of pain and they probably feel weak. Shouldn't they rest or does the walking do something special to help the body recover after surgery? I am just curious as to why that is stressed since reading an old book when one of the characters had his appendix out and he was in the hospital for a longer time and the walking was not stressed, mainly rest. And no the character was not old either...the book was set in the early 1900s I think. Thanks in advance.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Marie
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yeesh, the capital letters. ;-)

Yes, thinking on this subject has changed considerably since the early 1900's. We are now far more emphatic about getting the patient out of bed (OOB) and moving around after surgery, and that is largely to do with concern about blood clots, but it is also because moving helps with just about all areas of recovery.

Here is a fun little med student mnemonic regarding the causes of fever in post-op days, roughly correlated with the number of days after surgery: the five Ws. Wind, water, wound, walking, wonder drugs. Three of these are definitely helped by getting out of bed.

Wind: the lungs can partially collapse after surgery, causing something called atelectasis. Getting OOB helps expand the lungs.

Water: the urinary system can be affected by both the shock of surgery and by anaesthesia. Urinary retention is bad for you. Also, almost everyone gets a Foley catheter during any surgery involving general anaesthesia, which also can lead to retention as well as offering an entryway for bacteria causing a UTI. Getting OOB helps with this because it helps get everything moving again, and a patient who is OOB is more likely to want to use the bathroom themselves.

Wound: can become infected. This one's not really affected by OOB.

Walking: a DVT (deep vein thrombosis or clot) can form with stasis (sitting or lying still). This is also why they advise you to get up and walk around during long plane trips. Getting OOB, again, helps.

Wonder drugs: you can get a fever from a reaction to the antibiotics. For this, we just have to stop the drugs.

Now aren't you sorry you asked? ;-)

Source(s): Fourth year medical student.
  • 4 years ago

Ambulation After Surgery

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Walking After Surgery?

I was just thinking why is it so important to start walking soon after surgery, for example, a burst appendix? I've heard that doctors and nurses stress walking after surgery. Isn't the patient still in a lot of pain and they probably feel weak. Shouldn't they rest or does the...

Source(s): walking surgery: https://biturl.im/zbJVQ
  • DOCTORS ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO WALK AFTER SURGERY TO HALP ALLEVIATE THE POSSIBILITY OF THE PATIENT DEVELOPING BLOD CLOTS, ESPECIALLY IN THE LEGS. I T ALSO HELPS WITH REPRESSED RESPIRATION AND HELPS THE BODY RID ITSELF OF ANESTHETICS. REMEMBER THAT IN THE EARLY 1900'S PEOPLE OFTEN DIED FROM INFECTIONS, AS THERE WERE NO ANTIBIOTICS! FIFTY YEARS BEFORE THAT PHYSICIANS DIN'T WASH THEIR HANDS BEFORE THE PERFORMED SURGERY, HAD NO IDEA OD VIRUSES AND BACTERIA.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Early ambulation improves healing times but most importantly decreases the incidence of pulmonary emboli in the post-operative period.

• Zach
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

to prevent blood clots in the legs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.