Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastIsrael · 1 decade ago

Muslim lobby?

What are the Muslim lobbies in the US? Which is the most powerful? Are they well-organized?

Local Machine: I post what I want. If you don't like it, relax; no one is making you create similar posts. Also, do you think I care about YA points? What are they? They are not real. They don't matter. If I want to post here, I'll post here, whether I am "Level One" or "Level Seven."

I think that this is a very good way to spend my points. I like seeing something other than "Israel stole my puppy!!!!!" when I visit the YA Israel section.

• Shay p
    Best Answer

Formal Arab lobby

1.The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC) was started in 1980 by United States Senator James Abourezk. It is the largest Arab-American grassroots civil rights organization in the United States. Former US Congresswoman Mary Rose Oakar is the current president. ADC is at the forefront in addressing anti-Arabism - discrimination and bias against Arab Americans. It also advocates a more balanced US policy towards the Middle East.

2.Founded in 1985 by James Zogby, the Arab American Institute is a non-profit, membership organization and advocacy group based in Washington D.C. that focuses on the issues and interests of Arab-Americans nationwide. The organization seeks to increase the visibility of Arab-American involvement as voters and candidates in the American political system. It issues "Action Alerts" and encourages individual lobbying and participation in an annual national lobby day. It has promoted actively professors John Mearsheimer and Stephen Walt's book The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy.

3.Formed in 1994, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is an advocacy group for Muslims in North America. Its professed goals are to "enhance understanding of Islam, promote justice and empower American Muslims." CAIR claims to have 33 chapters and organizes educational and lobbying efforts. It has been dogged by criticism, including for accepting hundreds of thousands of dollars from a Saudi Arabia]]n national, which it claims was used to fund books about Islam for American libraries.

4.The Arab American Political Action Committee was formed in 1998 to "organize and encourage the political activities of Arab Americans" through endorsements and organizational and financial support. It is currently active in the state of Michigan.

Ex-president Jimmy Carter is paid millions of dollars every year to lobby for the Arabs.

What he says is less importnat than who is saying it.

He has no sense of righ or wrong any longer; if he ever did.

.

CAIR is the only one I know of, it's not very well organized (in my opinion), and it's only powerful when it comes to little things (like 'offensive' ads and things like that), their main focus is 'discrimination against Muslims in the US' (or so it seems), see;

http://youtube.com/user/CAIRtv

''CAIR says its mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding. It does not lobby senators and congressmen to affect pro-Muslim tilt in US foreign policy.''

http://www.campus-watch.org/article/id/3274

edit: why is that creep below still commenting on my answers? we agreed a couple days ago that I would ignore all his answers and he would ignore mine, oh well- I guess I shouldn't have counted on a 10 year to keep his word. Anyway, reported for harassment.

http://answers.yahoo.com/info/community_guidelines...

''If you’re looking for a place to chat with others, try Yahoo! Groups or Yahoo! Messenger Chat Rooms. Read more >''

''Yahoo! Answers isn't a soapbox to vent personal frustrations or rant about issues. We are a community of people with diverse beliefs, opinions, and backgrounds, so please be respectful and keep hateful and incendiary comments off Yahoo! Answers. Read more >''

Did you know that one of the organisers of CAIR has openly said he would like to see America become an Islamic state? His name is Sydney Hooper.

• Judy

Local Machine and shy P said it all... no further ...words.

Muslims are divided they could not have any kind of lobby.