Why do I keep getting shocked from the Light Switches in my home?

For the last couple of months I keep getting mild shocks whenever I touch the light switches in my house. My mom and brother have experienced similar occurrences and it happens on all floors (basement, main, upper) and with almost all of the light switches. It hasn't been a major shock (yet), but a slight jolt.... show more For the last couple of months I keep getting mild shocks whenever I touch the light switches in my house. My mom and brother have experienced similar occurrences and it happens on all floors (basement, main, upper) and with almost all of the light switches. It hasn't been a major shock (yet), but a slight jolt. The upper floor and basement are carpeted but I've experienced it in the kitchen as well so i don't know whether there would be a correlation between the flooring and the occurrences.

I was thinking it might be an issue of the electrical wiring as it's not limited to one floor or one set of lights but rather occurs throughout the building. We just moved into this house some months ago and already found some problems with insulation and pipes, so i'm wondering if this might be a case of shoddy wiring?
11 answers 11